Another E8-119 or an E8-130

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

given the weight of one, they must be beasts to double up, i know it's all different when you're in the water, but you still have to get them there!!!

NWGratefulDiver:
Just something to think about if you're planning to use the E8-119's for doubles ... they're head-heavy.

[...]

It's doable, but I'm not convinced they're the best choice. If I had it to do over, I'd go with E7-100's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've heard the same complaint about the E7-100s as well -- and a recommendation to either go with double LP80s, or to just skip the small tanks and double up the 130s...

I wonder how the E7-120s would trim as doubles...

lamont:
I wonder how the E7-120s would trim as doubles...
Who cares? Those tanks are like 6 feet long :wink:

cmalinowski:
...Should I get another 119 or go for the 130? I'm leaning to the 130 since it is the same diameter (no messing with the tank straps between dives) and only 2lbs heavier on land and 1lb lighter more boyant empty (same lb's boyant full).

I guess I just want to make sure that it makes sense to have two different sized tanks. If I get into doubles as some point in the future, I will get the partner for one or the other. Until then...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

For single tank diving, you need to decide what sized tank best serves your total needs.

What depth do you normally dive to?

How much gas do you need with your RMV-SCR for the time you normally spend at that depth?

Once you have decided on volume plus reserve, then you can consider the trim features of the choices within your size range.

For twin tank diving, the 130s are not that much different from the LP 100s or the HP 120s. So why would you go with anything other than twin 130s? But that is a totally different issue than single tank diving. For twin tank diving, since you are going to be in deco anyway, the main advantage of larger capacity twin tanks is added range.

I looked at all available sizes of twin tanks, and I did not notice much of a difference between any of them except for the twin 140s (per the specs / the 140s themselves are not out yet as far as I know). And those are too big, at least to me. Therefore I settled on the twin 130s. Two sets of twins, as a matter of fact. Most tech charters will do two dives these days with a 3 hour surface interval between. So you will ultimately want 2 sets of twins, normally of the same size per trip.

For single tank diving you are never going to exceed NDLs. Therefore there is an optimum size for you, and you only need to figure it out for yourself.

I would never dive a single 130. For me, the single 72s or single 80s make the most sense, and even a single LP 100 makes little sense, because normally with my own RMV-SCR anything larger than an 80 is way too much nitrox for me. And it also makes the most sense to have all your single tanks be the same size, like Jonnythan mentioned above.

Have fun with your own calculations!

lamont:
I've heard the same complaint about the E7-100s as well -- and a recommendation to either go with double LP80s, or to just skip the small tanks and double up the 130s...

In a perfect world, where your spouse did not get on your case about having scuba tanks all over the house, you would have two sets of twin 72s and two sets of twin 130s, and as many single tanks as you normally dive NDL with in a weekend (and that is just for you).

"Honey, what are we doing with all these scuba tanks all over the house? Why do you have to have all these anyway?" :)

NWGratefulDiver:
Just something to think about if you're planning to use the E8-119's for doubles ... they're head-heavy.

It's doable, but I'm not convinced they're the best choice. If I had it to do over, I'd go with E7-100's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I've read some posts over on TDS where short divers (I'm 5'7") complained of being head-heavy in the double E7-100's. Any thoughts on how the E7-100's trim out compared to the E8-119 for a short diver??????

triton94949:
In a perfect world, where your spouse did not get on your case about having scuba tanks all over the house, you would have two sets of twin 72s and two sets of twin 130s, and as many single tanks as you normally dive NDL with in a weekend (and that is just for you).

"Honey, what are we doing with all these scuba tanks all over the house? Why do you have to have all these anyway?" :)

having no spouse, i've been looking at my 4 E8-130s, envisioning them as two sets of doubles, and wondering what other tanks i should buy...

lamont:
having no spouse, i've been looking at my 4 E8-130s, envisioning them as two sets of doubles, and wondering what other tanks i should buy...

In a perfect world, in addition to your 2 sets of double 130s, you could get 2 more sets of smaller doubles, and 5 single tanks of the same size for NDL. Plus four 40 cu ft deco bottles, and an argon bottle or air pony. :)

I dive with double E8-119s and have not found any tendency to go head over heels. I'm only 5-5 so I don't know if that makes a difference. I also have a single E8-119 for simple/shallow dives - I just like the trim and respectable amount of air that you get, even with a short fill. As far as weight of the doubles, I was surprized how easy it was to carry them around, a good backplate/wing that is adjusted correctly spreads the weight out on the shoulders and waist so it wasn't as hard as I feared.

steve2281:
I've read some posts over on TDS where short divers (I'm 5'7") complained of being head-heavy in the double E7-100's. Any thoughts on how the E7-100's trim out compared to the E8-119 for a short diver??????
A lot of people seem to complain of trim with tanks such as E8-119's, E7-100's, LP95's....I'm 5'8" and I dive double LP95's (with a SS BP, no ankle weights, or weight belt) and they don't make me head heavy. I know of several divers in my height range diving LP95's and E7-100's with no trim issues.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom