Another Diver Left at Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman159

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/06/02/chavez.abandoned.diver.wptv[/URL]

Didn't see this posted yet.

wow 22 hours...Glad to hear that it seams he made it out of this ordeal ok.

Wow... six mile swim in 4 to 6 foot swells... I wanna be *him* when I grow up...

That's because it didn't happen in the land of Open Water.:D

Odd, he was mentioned in two other threads, but not in this forum. Glad he's okay. Was he alone in his own boat? Sounds like it from the scant info given and sounds like the lost flag with his only SMB, but who knows?

Diver spends 22 hours in ocean before rescue
Diver spends 22 hours in ocean before rescue

By ANA X. CERON Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Saturday, May 31, 2008

JENSEN BEACH — A missing Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue lieutenant was found off Jensen Beach Saturday morning after spending 22 hours in the ocean.

Patrick Scartozzi, 43, was reported missing at 12:51 p.m. Friday from a boat about 7 miles east of the St. Lucie Inlet. He had gone in the water around noon that day to spearfish.

A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter found Scartozzi, an experienced diver, shortly before 10 a.m. Saturday. He was about a mile from the beach and 6 miles from his dive site, Fort Pierce Coast Guard station petty officer Larry Blakeslee said.

"He was alert and responsive and was able to give the helicopter crew information," Blakeslee said.

Scartozzi was sent to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach for a checkup and treatment.

Scartozzi, who lives in Palm City with his wife and three children, has been a Fort Lauderdale firefighter about 12 years.

Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue Lt. Jason Morss and other officials from the department headed to the Fort Pierce station Friday night to help with the search.

Some firefighters even hauled their personal boats in trailers to help the Coast Guard scour the water.

Also joining the Coast Guard were crews from the Martin and St. Lucie sheriff's offices and Indian River County Fire-Rescue.

By Saturday morning, Morss and others in the crew were happily heading to St. Mary's Medical Center to check on their fellow firefighter.

"It's still a little surreal," Morss said on the ride to the hospital. "It was such an intensive search ... things weren't looking so great for him."

I understand from a video I saw earlier that he was using a scooter and he kept heading towards land. The video did not elaborate as to how he got in the predicament. It just said when he surfaced the boat and the flag were gone?

Follow-up story from: Diver talks about his 22 hours alone at sea | West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Treasure Coast local news, weather, live radar, investigative from Newschannel 5 | WPTV.com

Ok, he was not alone, but was diving solo, aparently with no signal devices mentioned, tried to shoot his scooter and the spear bounced back on him. :silly:

Story.jpg

PALM CITY, FL -- Patrick Scartozzi has what he calls a "death photo". It's the picture Ft. Lauderdale Fire Rescue uses in case something happens to the Lieutenant.

It's the picture his friends showed us Friday night.

Scartozzi, who lives in Palm City, went out with a friend to dive Friday. The two were spearfishing about seven miles off the coast of Jensen Beach.

Scartozzi, 43, began diving at 16 and once worked as a commercial fisherman. He thought this would be a quick trip under the water.

Scartozzi spent the next 22 hours floating in the Atlantic Ocean.

He tells us he went under the water for ten minutes. He resurfaced and noticed his friend turning the boat south to alert two fishing boats in the area. The current carried Scartozzi north, quickly away from the boat.

After a few hours in the water, Scartozzi knew his friend couldn't find him. He saw Coast Guard helicopters flying overhead and tried to get their attention.

At one point, Scartozzi shot his speargun into his scooter. He thought the flash would catch the eye of rescuers overhead. The gun instead kicked back and broke his hand, causing it to bleed in the process.

Scartozzi was then alone in the ocean; the sun was setting and he was bleeding.

"I pretty much got into position where I began a slow kick to shore," says Scartozzi. "And just got into position on my back and pretty much kicked towards shore all night."

Scartozzi's fins kicked up plankton and left a glowing green trail in the dark ocean. He felt a fish bump his leg. And he had visitors.

"I had the porpoises at like I'd say about three o'clock," he says. "I could hear the porpoises show up about three or four in the morning. You could hear him doing their little squeaking. And they hung out with me for about an hour."

At daybreak, Scartozzi spotted the condominiums on Hutchinson Island. He turned his burned face away from the sun, towards shore and kept kicking.

Around 9 a.m., a Coast Guard helicopter flew overhead once again. This time it made a quick U-turn. Rescuers dropped a bucket down to Scartozzi and hauled him to safety.

He was treated for dehydration at St. Mary's Medical Center and also underwent two surgeries for his broken hand. His face is peeling from the sunburn.

Patrick Scartozzi has a "death photo", but he doesn't need it. After 22 hours in the Atlantic Ocean, this diver and firefighter is very much alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom