Another diver is now a first time panic attack victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwatts, check the hose at connection and all the way up BCD, it might just have hole in hose or tear at connection, or loose. Air2 is pretty darn bullet proof, the other if just warm diving take cover off and see if sand is in there, after all it is just a reg.

Also, don't just test the air2, dive it for awile, and there are three areas to run water through to rinse.

Your on your own when diving with others on vacation.

Happy Diving

@NoDiver: For whatever reason, not all dive ops inquire about a customer's most recent dive.
Most of the local boat dive ops here in SoCal ask about our highest level of training, number of lifetime dives, most recent dive, and most recent cold/temperate water dive. This information is used to help select the dive site. If there are any novices on board or warm water divers who aren't accustomed to wearing thick wetsuits and lots of lead, then the captain will position the boat so that there's a hard bottom in the 20'-30' range. FWIW, I've never seen a boat op insist that a diver hire a private DM for a check-out dive. The DMs here in SoCal remain on the boat while divers are in the water and help direct rescue efforts if necessary.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but just to clarify...our friend wasn't required to hire a DM, but he was to accompany a DM who was conducting a DSD off the boat in relatively shallow water. They wouldn't allow him on the deeper dives until he had done that. I think it's a pretty good idea...avoids having some (potentially)egotistical maverick ruining everybody's day.

I've read through all the posts and the one thing that no one asked was how did he (your dive buddy) go from 500lbs to empty at 45 feet? Especially considering he was ascending at a faster than safe rate. I won't even get into the question of "was he holding his (or your) breath during the buddy breathing portion of the ascent"? You chasing him to catch up to him etc... Sorry, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how this really went down. (or up!!)

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

So, at the end of the day, you did fine, you learned some things, and you tweaked some approaches. Good lessons learned all the way.
Just practice with your gear, even if no one takes the reg, practice donating. I have have practices where the buddies were supposed to grab regs and their buddy just react calmly and adapt.
A lot of this is planning, diving your plan, and being able to adapt and problem solve when something comes up, then learning from the experience. You did. Good job.

Kudos to you for orderly buddy breathing. I wonder how many recently trained divers would have managed it so well. Were you taught to buddy breathe? Have you ever practiced it?

I was taught to buddy breathe in my course and I was required to do it in my open water cert. dives.

Glad everything came out ok in the end.

I wish they did not sell regulator integrated BC parts... (Air2)

Everyone that dives should have a second regulator that is as good breathing as their primary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom