Another Diver dies in the Keys, 11-06-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite distressing indeed.

However, there appears to be a bit of a common thread between the two tragedies, surfacing / drifting a "fair" distance from the boat, and, both in the "above 50" age catagory.
Although, I am NOT at all implying this in itself is an issue, just that, perhaps,for some folk, diving in this age cat requires a little extra care and attention to dive detail,ocean conditions, equipment and medical issues.

We can "ponder" all we like about visual safety devices (which it would seem were not evident here either) but the reality of it is, unless its legislated (like the modern BC / octo) or enforced by dive operators, not everyone will buy and use them for whatever reason, ignorance, nonchalence or even financial ability, and, into the forseeable future, not much will change.

Last edited:
As a relatively new diver I'd like to recite what I would have tried to do in this situation (even though there really are very few details given). I just want to hear from some more experienced divers - I would be going through my list of do's and don'ts when faced with a sitation like this. I'd like to be confident that I know what the best course of action would be in this situation.

I am 48 years old, healthy and in decent shape. I got my open water cert in the Keys 16 months ago and have logged only 12 open water dives since then. I read the boards so that even though I don't get the chance to use all my new and expensive gear as often as I'd like, I try to learn by reading and listening. Oh - and I took a refresher course this past spring - a year after my open water classes, and I still regularly go back to my dive shop to use their pool every so often to keep my "chops" up.)

I have invested in my own equipment (sans tanks and weights) and that includes an SMB which I carry on every dive. My last trip to the keys in June of this year I noticed that I was usually the ONLY person on the boat who had one clipped to their BC, and I was wondering if maybe I was being overly cautious. Now I think I'm smart.

So - If my buddy signals low on air and wants to surface, I'm going to stick close as we ascend to the surface to make sure they have no issues getting up safely. I have a coiled plastic retractor attached to my SMB, so at our safetly stop, assuming we both have enough air to make our stop, I'm going to deploy our SMB so that the DM on the boat has an extra 5 minutes to spot us even before we get to the surface.

Once on the surface - if we can't easily and safely make it to the boat in short order, knowing that my buddy is low on air, I'm going to check to make sure that they have enough air to inflate their BC so they float safely on the surface.

The article says the woman was found drifting on the surface and recovered safely later, but the man's body was recovered from the sea floor. Riding low in the water or out of air at the surface, she should have assisted him in A.) manually inflating his BC and - B.) ditching his wieghts.

If he didn't have air, I'd check to make sure he was carrying and using a snorkel, and loan him one, if needed. If the boat is in-sight, even at a distance - I'd double check to make sure the SMB is fully iinflated and at max vis, and be waving my fins and using a whistle to make sure they spotted us. In any case, I'd be checking to make sure my buddy was breathing OK and as comfortable as possible, but we'd be sticking together until we were found and retreived.

I'm considering adding a Dive Alert Plus to my personal gear... Any recommendations or comments about that?

How did I do? Anything I forgot or missed?

Just trying to run through the scenario in my mind so that I get it right if it actually happens to me someday.

Thanks for your feedback.

Great list! Taking the liberty to distill your comments a little:

• includes an SMB which I carry on every dive.
  • I'm going to stick close as we ascend to the surface to make sure they have no issues getting up safely.
  • I'm going to deploy our SMB so that the DM on the boat has an extra 5 minutes to spot us even before we get to the surface.
  • I'm going to check to make sure that they have enough air to inflate their BC so they float safely on the surface.
  • A.) manually inflating his BC and - B.) ditching his wieghts.
  • If he didn't have air, I'd check to make sure he was carrying and using a snorkel, and loan him one, if needed.
  • If the boat is in-sight, even at a distance - I'd double check to make sure the SMB is fully iinflated and at max vis, and be waving my fins and using a whistle to make sure they spotted us.
  • In any case, I'd be checking to make sure my buddy was breathing OK and as comfortable as possible, but we'd be sticking together until we were found and retreived.
  • I'm considering adding a Dive Alert Plus to my personal gear... Any recommendations or comments about that?

Just trying to run through the scenario in my mind so that I get it right if it actually happens to me someday.

If you've still got tank pressure, a Dive Alert is nice and loud. It's a nice compliment to a Storm mouth whistle or its equivalent.

You're a thinking diver, which makes you a good dive buddy, for sure, the kind I like to dive with! :)

Dave C

I'm considering adding a Dive Alert Plus to my personal gear... Any recommendations or comments about that?

Here is a link to one of the best threads on this board about on rescue and safety gear. Check it out, you won't be disappointed!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ignalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html

Rythmmaker - Pretty good job. I would make a strong arguement that the most important aspect is not the specific gear (although having it is important), but your perspective. Understanding that something can happen, and being prepared is the issue.

Oddly, in the last year, I have only been questioned about one piece of equipment on several boat dives.. the reel...my smb attaches to the back plate of my BP/W, so it may not be that obvious, but the reel is easy to see. I have had groups of divers come up and ask what that is for. The conversation always goes sort of like this:

"What is that thing there for?"

In case I have to deploy my SMB

"What is an "SMB"?"

This safety marker buoy located here.

"Why would you ever need to do that?"

Ah, because we are 8 miles off shore...and if I get separated from this nicely anchored boat, I would like them to be able to see me in these 4 ft seas.

"Why would you get seperated"

Well, I don't want to, but just in case something unplanned happens, I'm ready for it.

After that.... they usually just sort of shake they heads and drift away...

Oddly, one "plan" in the keys, if the wind is blowing towards shore, is to just wait for either be picked up or to end up on the shore.

Rythmmaker, I'd dive with you.

I have a Dive Alert on my BCD. It is LOUD. I also carry a whistle. It is on a lanyard around my neck inside my wetsuit. I figure there will always be enough air in my tank to operate the Dive Alert at least a few times. However, there may be times when I have to ditch my BCD, e.g. towing another diver a long distance, and I want to make sure the whistle is with me, not the BCD. I also have a car key on the lanyard. Again, if I have to ditch the BCD to tow an injured diver ashore, I want to be able to start my car and drive him/her to an emergency facility. I'd feel real stupid if the key went with the BCD.

I also have a car key on the lanyard. Again, if I have to ditch the BCD to tow an injured diver ashore, I want to be able to start my car and drive him/her to an emergency facility.
Good idea - but probably not helpful if your key is one of those chipped/electronic ones. I can't imagine immersion in water is going to keep it functional.

Unfortunately, my key is just such a key. Soooo, I have one of those "hitch lock" safe thingies and I put my key in there if necessary. But truthfully, in my usual local dive site, no one locks their cars anyway. Even so - we generally have a non-diver hanging around to help us out with gear and stuff. Also runs the cook stove for us. I highly recommend such an approach :)

Back
Top Bottom