Another Diver dies in the Keys, 11-06-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The article dint mention which reef or wreck. Most of the dives in the area are shallow, other than the Thunderbolt and the ledges of Sombrero, both of wich have gotten quite a bit of respect from myself from the currents Ive encountered there.

It looks like there was another accident this week

Another diver dies off the Keys

Let the speculation begin

Very sad story. It will be interesting to learn if the guy had some sort of medical condition that maybe he did or did not know about that led to his death. It seems like a lot of times that's the case when you hear about a death associated with diving.

Prayers go out to his friends and family.

BDSC

Very sad story. It will be interesting to learn if the guy had some sort of medical condition that maybe he did or did not know about that led to his death. It seems like a lot of times that's the case when you hear about a death associated with diving.

Prayers go out to his friends and family.

BDSC

My thoughts go out to them too. A significant number of OOA situations in his age category are indeed medical issues. (those of you familiar with the symptoms of a heart attack know that shortness of breath is a very common one)

I can't remember the source for that, but I think it was a DAN article I read a few years back.

Last edited:
I hate to hear this - the Seafari is one of the most safety conscious boats I've ever been on, very professionally operated. Sorry for everyone involved.

I posted this elsewhere, but it is probably better posted here:

Joe and Wendy of Dive Duck Key are awesome. I have been underwater with almost every operation between Key Largo and the 7 Mile Bridge. Of all the instructors I have met, Wendy is at the top of my list. If I had kids, she is who I would want to teach them to dive. That is no exaggeration- I would trust, without hesitation, Joe and Wendy to train and/or supervise my brother, father and mother.

MY condolences to the family, and my thoughts are with DDK and their crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom