Another Cruise Dive Question - Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Need dive shop recommendations for the following:

Grand Cayman
Costa Maya
Belize

Also going to Cozumel but I can handle that one!

Looking for dive shops that don't have a problem with cruise passengers. Also, looking for dive shops that let you dive your tank (well..to 700 psi or so)....don't want to have to come at 30 minutes and still have 1500 psi left.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Michelle

I like www.neptunesdivers.com in GCM.

In Costa Maya, there are only 2 or 3 dive operators. I haven't gone with any of them, so I can't make a recommendation.

In Belize, most people go with the ship's excursion due to logistics. The cruise ship anchors off shore of Belize city and it is a fairly long tender ride. The ship's dive excursion will pick up directly from the ship, saving you the tedious tender ride.

I'll echo diveborg's recommendation of Neptune's Divers in Grand Cayman, they're very good and have I believe an 8 person maximum.

My suggestion for the Grand Cayman island is Don Fosters. When you get off of the Cruise Ship Tender head to the right and walk about 3 or 4 blocks at the most across from the church, and you will see the dive shop. You can do an easy shore dive, probably the easiest and most scenic shore dives I've done. Be careful because if you go to far you will get to the wall which goes down several thousand feet. The group of people I was diving with ended up going down to 100 feet. You can go on your own or probably hire a divemaster to take you on a tour. They also have boats, while I was there the cruise ship excursion people were filling out the paper work. There is a good restaurant a little further down the road and dive op. I was just on a cruise ship and followed the same itinerary last week.

diveborg:
In Belize, most people go with the ship's excursion due to logistics. The cruise ship anchors off shore of Belize city and it is a fairly long tender ride. The ship's dive excursion will pick up directly from the ship, saving you the tedious tender ride.

That's what we've found is the only practical option for our upcoming cruise. The price is typical cruise ship pricing, but the time saved is well worth it.

In Costa Maya, we've found www.mayapalms.com offers diving, but it's 30 min to the resort and I've read mixed reviews. www.blueoceansafari.com offers diving, but I've read quite a few horror stories about 1/2 filled tanks at the dive site, search the boards here to find some reviews. Dreamtime Divers is the other operation, but they have a contract with most of the ships, so you'll end up having to book through the ship. We've not decided what to do, but it seems like the ship will get our money in tow ports :shakehead

Keep in mind that you tender to both GC & Belize. If you are diving with the ship, you get off quicker. It costs more but in Belize, they pick you up at the ship & go straight to the sites (RCCL) which saves a ton of time.

My recommendation for Grand Cayman is Red Sail ( www.redsail.com ) . They were a great outfit, not a cattle boat. My wife and I had a great time diving with them for a week. They are right on the beach at the Hyatt hotel. If you go to Cayman, make sure to do the Stingray City dive...it is awesome.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom