Another callout and a good one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Link:
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho/topstory.asp?ID=19503

Article:

printer-friendly | e-mail this story

"We know where he's at now. He's in booking." Capt. Ben Wolfinger, Kootenai County Sheriff's Department

Driver downtown, not drowned
Divers search in vain for man who ran away after crashing car in lake

Kootenai County sheriff's Deputy Eric Hildebrandt watches as the Mazda is pulled out of Fernan Lake on Thursday morning following Wednesday's crash. (Jesse Tinsley/The Spokesman-Review)

Taryn Brodwater
Staff writer
August 6, 2004

The murky water in Fernan Lake made it hard to find the body of Peter Rowland.

The fact that Rowland was on Sherman Avenue – not in the waters where police found his car – made it pretty much impossible.

After witnesses reported a white car careening off the road and into Fernan Lake late Wednesday evening, crews from the Kootenai County Sheriff's Department searched late into the night for the driver. By morning, the search had turned to a recovery mission.

As divers continued to search for the driver, identified as Rowland, 38 of Coeur d'Alene, police received a call that Rowland had been spotted walking along Sherman Avenue. Police then called Rowland's house. To their surprise, he answered the phone.

"We know where he's at now," Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said Thursday afternoon. "He's in booking."

The very-much-alive Rowland was arrested Thursday afternoon for failure to report an accident and the felony charge of leaving the scene of an injury accident.

Wolfinger said Rowland was aware police were searching for him, but spent the night and Thursday morning hiding from police.

"He doesn't have a valid license," Wolfinger said. "It's suspended. We don't know if he'd been drinking. Those are still pretty minor charges compared to felony leaving the scene of an accident."

Witnesses fishing in the lake Wednesday evening reported seeing a small white car crash into Fernan Lake at 9:45 p.m. They told police that a man came to the surface of the water and disappeared. The white Mazda that Rowland was driving was found upside down in the lake.

The Sheriff's Department dive team used lights to search the dark waters and even scanned the shoreline and shallow water with a thermal imaging unit to try to find Rowland. Only able to see inches in front of their masks, divers had to feel their way along the lake bottom.

The search continued early Thursday. Family members – also unaware Rowland was still alive – spent the morning at the lake, waited for divers to pull his body from the water.

By noon, the wrecked car was pulled from the water. The windshield had been kicked out.

Wolfinger said Rowland had borrowed the car from his girlfriend. His own car had broken down farther up the road, Wolfinger said, and Rowland was on his way to make repairs when he drove off the road. The cause of the accident is being investigated.

Wolfinger said he was frustrated, not only because of the resources that were dedicated to search for Rowland, but about the risk others took to look for him. Night dives are especially risky, Wolfinger said.

"It makes everybody angry," he said. "We could have avoided all of that if he just would have stood up and said, 'I'm OK. Here I am.' "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy is such a self centered, arrogant, selfish, defiant SOB that he even got cocky with the judge. Does the judge do anything? Sure did, he let him go with a simple Misd charge that normally ends in a $50.00 fine.

We have witnesses putting him behind the wheel. His girlfriend even put him behind the wheel. His injuries are consistent with him being behind the wheel. He even said he was in the vehicle when it crashed.

But the judge tossed all that aside in favor of believing the three-time story changing A-hole. He told the judge he fell into the water and was delirious.

He even told the judge what he told the deputy that arrested him. “Bill me, the checks in the mail”.

Most of the time we do our job and the courts do what they do. Just can’t let it bother you. But in this situation he endangered way to many people by his actions and the judge says, It’s no big deal. So let’s open the floodgates for this type of illegal activity and see how long it takes to kill one of us.

%$^&*%$$#$^&()*&$##&*()
Gary D.

In the past I have posted how dirty Fernan Lake is and how a good percentage of the time I get an ear infection from diving it.

I've been lucky the past few times but that infection has reared it's ugly head and I've got another one. So have a couple of the others that dove.

This time it's going down as an IOD and on my time. I can still dive but boy is it irritating.

Now I'm even more irritated at that A-hole.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
We have witnesses putting him behind the wheel. His girlfriend even put him behind the wheel. His injuries are consistent with him being behind the wheel. He even said he was in the vehicle when it crashed.

%$^&*%$$#$^&()*&$##&*()
Gary D.

Gary,

At least he didn't leave his girlfriend in the car to drown like Ted Kennedy!

I agree with you, however, when you say:

"%$^&*%$$#$^&()*&$##&*()"!!!!

BJD

Gary D.:
Then to top things off our group of wanna-bees comes by and grabs the media. They proceed to tell the TV stations that we do not have a clue what to do and they were the only trained rescue team in the area. They also told one of the two team Sgt.’s that as soon as we left they would go and recover the body within half an hour. Why did PADI call that class Rescue?

They came within one more request to leave the area from getting arrested for obstructing. When they did leave the media wanted to know who those idiots were.
Gary D.

Okay, what is all this about? What is actually happening there? These are some serious bad vibes! :argue:

Gary D.:
Trivia question.

Does everyone know where Fernan Lake is by now?

I do now, and I live in North Carolina!!!

I hope you're doing well after the dog bite incident. Keep up with the reports during your convalescence. I enjoy reading them.

Mel :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom