Another air share question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
ok, so we are taught to grip the bc/harness with our left hand, and proffer the octo (or primary) with the right hand. Once the OOA person accepts the octo you right hand is free you get settled and start your ascent. You now have to reach across with your right and to take your inflator hose and control your ascent.

Why not, grab the person with your right hand, pass off the octo with the left (reach across body 1x, then the receiver is locked to the side your octo is on, and you have access to the shoulder dump on their bc and have your left hand free to control the ascent. Why is this wrong? Other than the fact that it is not taught that way.

Loads of different grips possible for an ascent, some are comfortable some aren't. After donating i grip the harness with left and right hand (one on each strap), then i can release with the left to dump my BC and raise left wrist to dump from drysuit with ease without letting go.

My octo also comes from the left not the right so its the correct way up for a receiver without twisting the hose.

which ever works and get you both out.
Donating an octo or primary is related to the situation at hand. If you feel comfortable with the right or left hand...then that is good for you in that situation.

I am right handed, so I donate from the right and grab with the left. Once all is secured I switch to my right hand and control acent with the left. Thus keeping an eye on the OOA diver and my Bottom timer-computer. Which is on my right arm.

Bottom line..which ever works..

There is more than one way to do an air share depending on equip. config. so just do what works best, but remember to practice it once in a while with your team mates (buddy) though so you stay proficient.

doghouse:
ok, so we are taught to grip the bc/harness with our left hand, and proffer the octo (or primary) with the right hand. Once the OOA person accepts the octo you right hand is free you get settled and start your ascent. You now have to reach across with your right and to take your inflator hose and control your ascent.

Why not, grab the person with your right hand, pass off the octo with the left (reach across body 1x, then the receiver is locked to the side your octo is on, and you have access to the shoulder dump on their bc and have your left hand free to control the ascent. Why is this wrong? Other than the fact that it is not taught that way.

You may want to check back with your instructor to be sure that is how he/she wants it to be done. Whatever your particular instructor is teaching, then that is what you should do for the practical exercises.

At some point in the drill, you need your left hand free so that you can operate your BC or wing deflator hose. Therefore this drill is normally taught in a manner so that your left hand is always free, rather than using it to hold onto your donee-buddy's shoulder strap.

The first thing you need to do, however, before you grab anything, is to extend your 2nd stage, either primary or octo, depending on how you are configured, to your buddy. That is what your buddy needs the quickest, so that is what you need to do, the quickest. No grabbing anything yet.

The risk in air sharing is always that you and your donee-buddy will drift apart. That is why you would normally hold onto your buddy's right shoulder strap with your own right hand. Remember that his/her right should strap is going to be to your left as you face each other.

Technical divers with 7 ft hoses normally do not hold onto each other during air sharing. It is assumed that they have sufficient buoyancy control that they will not drift apart. But ordinary recreational divers are taught to hold onto each other during air sharing.

Ask your current instructor how this is to be done in the class. Then come back here again, after you are certified, and ask us how we each do it. You will get a lot of different answers.

I scuba with a DPV (scooter), therefore I always need a long hose about 7 ft for air/nitrox/trimix sharing.

If your ascent is by the "taught standard" you could always use a right dump pull if your BC has one instead of worrying about the inflator hose on the left. I think the key to a situation like this is get the OOA diver some air, calm the OOA diver, ascend as safely as possible the rest is not that important.

Cheers.

-J.-

doghouse:

First there was buddy breathing you was on the right side holding their tank vavle and sharing your 2nd stage with the out of air diver. Reason If the out of air diver wasn't controlled what would stop them from lets say getting behind you and holding on for life and not willing to share your air with you again. HUMMMM You were on the right side for a reason because your body is between you and the out of air person they decide to keep the 2nd stage you want it back. Your holding there tank vavle and you have your hand on the reg hose there is a pissing match that occurs you have the position to forcefully take the reg back. Your body should be stronger than their arm. You might lose a mouth piece but you'll be able to breath.

Then the advent of Octo's cool beans here! But they were set up the same way ... CONTROL. Lets face it you do not know what a person thats in a panic will do. I've been a WSI for the red cross and you won't believe what an out of air person will do to get some! Ther is no thinking just reacting ... GET AIR NOW ANY WAY PERIOD.
hope this helps.

String:
My octo also comes from the left not the right so its the correct way up for a receiver without twisting the hose.
I solved that problem by having a side breathing Dacor Vyper for my octo. It works equally well either side up. This effectively lengthens the octo hose since it doesn't have to twist around, and avoids one more possible screwup during an air share.

nereas:
The risk in air sharing is always that you and your donee-buddy will drift apart. That is why you would normally hold onto your buddy's right shoulder strap with your own right hand.

Technical divers with 7 ft hoses normally do not hold onto each other during air sharing. It is assumed that they have sufficient buoyancy control that they will not drift apart. But ordinary recreational divers are taught to hold onto each other during air sharing.

Buoyancy control is the secondary concern: your primary concern is that your OOA diver/buddy (possibly distressed/paniced) might bolt to the surface with your octo in his mouth - hold onto his rig, and never let go of it.

Back
Top Bottom