Another abalone diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how these things are reported, but this does not actually sound like a diving incident per se. A swimming incident seems more accurate (as the report implies that he had not actually dived yet, for abalone or anything else!), but I guess diving incidents make for better headlines.

What I mean is; this statement (from the linked report) does not sound entirely accurate "the seventh person to die this year while abalone diving". Maybe this would have been better? ... " the seventh abalone diver to die this year" ... Oh well, press will be press!

Not sure how these things are reported, but this does not actually sound like a diving incident per se. A swimming incident seems more accurate (as the report implies that he had not actually dived yet, for abalone or anything else!), but I guess diving incidents make for better headlines.
I suppose it was the wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, BC, weightbelt, booties and gloves that made the reporter mistake the victim for a diver.

I suppose it was the wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, BC, weightbelt, booties and gloves that made the reporter mistake the victim for a diver.
Fair comment. But he did not die "while abalone diving". If you re-read what I said above, I did say that it would be accurate to say " the seventh abalone diver to die this year".

Semantics I suppose; I am a Brit after all. :wink:

Gotta go with the reporter on this one.

Even though the victim appears not to have gone underwater yet at the time he became "tired," he was participating in an ab dive and was geared up and in the water.

As to "the seventh person to die this year while abalone diving" vs. " the seventh abalone diver to die this year," the reporter has it right. I'm confident that many more than 7 people who are abalone divers have died this year. Only 7 of those deaths ocurred while in the process of ab diving.

OK, fair enough - I concede. My initial post was pedantic really anyway. He was indeed 'going equipped', but where do you draw the line. If I collapse on the beach (wearing all the gear), is it still a diving accident? That's where my pedantic brain took me!

I've been tracking dive accidents in Northern California for several years. My take is: If you are
geared up, it's a dive accident. In this case, it looks like some medical problem, probably brought
on by the stress of diving.

BTW, ab diving is not as safe as SCUBA. So far this year, we have seven ab diver deaths (and one
rock picker). vs. two SCUBA divers. That's pretty typical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom