Anondize Backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vel525

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I've noticed that several places are selling anondized AL BPs these days. I already have a regular AL BP and figure getting it anondized will protect it from the saltwater. Has anyone gotten their AL BPs anondized or know where I can get this done? Thanks in advance.

Victor

Why bother. The outside of the AL plate oxidizes and then the rest of the plate is protected.

oh, i thought the saltwater would ruse the AL plate. so not worth it?

Nope, not worth the cost, unless you have a homebrew anodozing setup in your garage. The oxidation that forms on the surface of the aluminum will protect it.

Aluminum doesn't in the the way steel does. It won't turn red or brown. You may get some white aluminum oxide deposits in places that trap moisture such as where the webbing passes through the slots. Just rinse it well and dry it.

Cool, thanks! I did find one metal place locally and they quoted me $200+ for some hard coating for 2 plates...no thanks!
I did notice the white alumin oxide deposits and I thought getting it anondized would protect it. Well, sounds like I don't need it.
Thanks for fhe quick replies!

Anodization is extremely expensive if done in one's or twozies . . .

Good info above.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom