Annual Servicing and Port Plug O-Ring Replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.

Should I expect that all port plug O-rings be replaced during the annual servicing of my first-stages. I have noticed that my LDS technician has not been replacing all my port plug O-rings. In a couple of cases, I was having serviced new old-stock, or nearly new old-stock--for example a Scubapro MK10 from the 1980s. But in other cases, for example my "old faithful" MK20, I unscrewed the right-side HP plug and the O-ring appeared not to have been replaced in years (there was actually green corrosion inside this port).

So, again, should I expect that all ports be opened and cleaned and all O-rings replaced during an annual servicing?

Many thanks.

Mahjong

Port plugs (and hoses) should be removed at every servicing, the o-ring discarded and both the plug and the body of the regulator cleaned before a new o-ring is installed and the first stage reassembled. If you aren't getting new o-rings on the port plug, you have a beef with the technician. If they aren't removing the port plug for cleaning, you have a bigger beef with the technician.

I would not expect them to be replaced at every service. They are not included in the annual service kit nor does the SP schematics call for their replacement with each service. I would expect them to be inspected and cleaned. I would not expect any corrosion on the port plugs. That indicates that the plugs were not cleaned and, perhaps not even removed. The body and turret can not be properly cleaned and inspected without removing those plugs.

Talk to your tech, before and/or after service, about what he did for whatever he charged. If he charged less than $20, he may have done nother more than a cursory inspection and performance check and decided it was good for another year. If he charged you more the $50, you paid for a proper job but didn't appear to get one. Unfortunately, I have seen more green in a few folks freshly serviced regs than I have in my lawn. (I'm not a tech - just a DIYer but williny to assist folks with a problem.) And usually they paid for the full service.

I've always replaced them. Most kits come with new ones and it only takes a few seconds to replace them. I'd be pissed if that wasn't done. Take it back and have them do it. Next time ask to see the parts that were replaced and any parts that were "left over".

Scott

At a minimum an annual service should include a full dissassembly and inspection of all parts (with a few exceptions) including removal of port plugs and inspection of hose end o-rings. (One of the few exceptions are flow vane o-rings which don't see much dynamic use, only seal against a couple inches of water pressure and where frequent flow vane removal causes more damage over time than leaving things alone. In that case a vaccum check and checking to see that the o-ring is tight enough to keep the vane from moving on it's own is sufficient.)

SP does not include hose/port plug o-rings in annual service kits, but then most shops should be buying the sizes need for 3/8" and 7"16" ports in bulk anyway. In my case I keep a stock of o-rings in the most often used sizes on the bench to make it easy to change them. Regardless of manufacturer, if a tech has to go hunt them down anywhere beyond arms reach, they are probably not going to change them unless they look really bad as time is literally money for techs who are paid by the job. If your reg is incredibly dirty and corroded, the tech is probably already peeved that the job is going to take him 3 times longer than it should.

That said, I have a lot of repeat business and in most cases know customer's regs (and their dive habits) pretty well. If I service a reg every year and know that I changed all the o-rings last year and that the diver does one or two tropical trips per year, I will inspect port plugs, hose end o-rings, and port plug o-rings, but will not neccesarily replace them. They are static o-rings that do not see much wear and if there is no corrosion or salt present to abrade the o-ring and the o-ring is still supple, and free of cuts or scratches and has not taken a set, I'll relubricate it and put it back on the hose or plug.

The hose swivel o-ring (on the end by the second stage end of the hose) is more or less dynamic in use and can be much more prone to wear. The tolerances in this area are also often potentially greater due to manufacturing differences putting more stress on the o-ring. I used to remove these and inspect, relube and reuse them if they were in good shape. But they tend to be small o-rings and have the potential to get damaged and over stressed when removing them. The end result was a failure of one of them during a dive where approx 1/3 of the circumference of the 0-ring separated and blew out with a really large leak resulting. Thankfully it happended on my long hose second stage, rather than on a customer's reg as the air loss approached that of a full blown freeze flow. So on my bench they are now an annual replacement item - period.

Back
Top Bottom