Annoying drysuit seam glue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PFD305

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
While on a trip in the Keys in September, I decided to give my DUI clx450 a chance to get wet too(Why I had it, i'm not sure. Guess I threw it in the car out of habit). During the first dive I was a little warm. So for my second dive I only wore a t-shirt and swim shorts underneath. Being from NJ, I have never worn so little under my suit and never really noticed the sealed seams on the inside(other then their unattractive look). But without covered arms and legs they were a real pain. The glue is just soft enough to catch and tug at skin while doning and doffing and while walking around topside. Anyone ever have the same problem? How about trying to lightly sand the glue for a more course surface? And secondly does DUI's warm water suit have the same annoying glue?

Scott

So for my second dive I only wore a t-shirt and swim shorts underneath. The glue is just soft enough to catch and tug at skin while doning and doffing and while walking around topside.

That's called "user error" in my book. (Another NJ diver.)

:D

You're using a specialized piece of dive equipment in an environment for which it is not intended, and without additional equipment with which it was designed to be used. Complaining about it's performance under those conditions is really a bit off base.

Seriously, would you complain that a heavy wool sweater was "annoying" because it was itchy when you wore it to the beach in the summer?

How about trying to lightly sand the glue for a more course surface?

You're kidding, right? (If not, just say that you are.)

And secondly does DUI's warm water suit have the same annoying glue?

I've got a DUI 30/30 tropical suit. Don't have it in front of me, but think it does have the same glue. But it's not annoying if you use the suit properly. I wear mine with a very thin undergarment - the tropical jumpsuit it came with or a light capilene top and bottom. Even though it's for warm water, you wouldn't use the 30/30 with nothing underneath because that's not how it's designed to be used. The undergarment is not so much for warmth itself but rather to keep the bi-laminate material of the suit off your skin. The suit itself is so thin it would provide zero thermal protection without undergarments. It would also pinch your skin and pull your hair - glue or not.

I've worn the 30/30 in Caymans, Hawaii, Florida, etc in water temps into the mid 80's and air temps in the 90s without the slightest bit of discomfort.

During the first dive I was a little warm. So for my second dive I only wore a t-shirt and swim shorts underneath. ... But without covered arms and legs they were a real pain. The glue is just soft enough to catch and tug at skin while doning and doffing and while walking around topside. Anyone ever have the same problem? How about trying to lightly sand the glue for a more course surface?
I definitely wouldn't sand the glue. The best approach is too wear very thin, very lightweight, long-sleeve and long-leg underwear - get Patagonia capilene or some other light outdoor undergarments. Don't go with the heavy undersuit, but don't go with just shorts and a t-shirt, either. It is not just the glue, it is the suit as well.
And secondly does DUI's warm water suit have the same annoying glue?
I can't speak for DUI drysuits as I have a DCI, but the components are similar. But, I really think your issue is not so much with the glue (yes, it is annoying) as with bare skin exposure. A drysuit, even with with light underwear, should be comfortable in (low) 80 degree water. I have used mine in the Gulf of Mexico with surface water temps in the mid 80s, and survived.

My CF200 treats me the same way. I always wear something under it. Perhaps you could try some Lycra like one of those bicycling suits? I wear a shirt such as that under my dive undies.

Were I you, I'd not mess with the seam glue in any way.

I made this same mistake when I first got my DS. When I peeled the suit off, it looked like I got beaten w/ a whip:11:

Gotta have something underneath

I agree with the others to at least wear some kind of comfort material under the drysuit.

The beauty of shell drysuits is the insulation can be adapted to a wide range of temps.

I love wearing mine in 80-degree water because the light undergarment makes the suit so flexible, yet perfectly warm.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom