Animal planet wild deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tuesday nights AP has a half hour show call Wild Deep. The 3rd episode was about the Azores. IMO the most fasinating part was the sleeping sperm whales, they hang vertically in the water either head up or head down and sleep. It looked like a forest of whales!
Anybody else see it?

I have the series being recorded. That was an absolutely amazing shot of the sleeping Sperm whales. In the 45 yrs that I have had my eyes glued to the tele watching everything that has to do with the ocean, I have never seen that. It reminded me of a floating giant redwood forest, seeing them hanging vertical and with perfect buoyancy. They must have taken a Padi PPB course. :D The entire series is pretty darn good and they have some beautiful underwater scenery.

I can only guess that there was the potenial for great danger taking that video. I wonder how the whales would react if woken up by a couple of divers? I know I wouldn't ge too close. The distance they had was about the edge of my comfort zone, assuming they were on the outside of the "forest". That was a 1st for me too, also never read of that behavior either. How little we know about a place that we love, the oceans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom