Anilao earthquakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I would not hesitate to go at this time. It's a wonderful area , so near Manila, and the people like everywhere else in the Philippine Dive resorts are delightful.

Last edited:
From Buceo Anilao's FB page a few hours ago:
Dear Friends
As you might have heard our area got struck by an earthquake the last days. For precautionary measure our guest were billeted in Manila but are back in the resort since this afternoon and diving resumed. We are fully operational and first statements of our and the Dive masters of other resorts notice no evident damage on the dive sites ! We need of course more time to check all 50 sites nearby but first statements are encouraging.
While our feelings are with the people that are in very difficult situations right now, we are thankful that our guests, staff, resort and apparently the dive sites are okay considering the circumstances.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.
Thank you for your thoughts. And please bear with our delayed responses for the moment. Thank you very much.

Management and staff of Buceo Anilao

We are still experiencing noticeable aftershocks in the form of short jolts but the frequency has greatly diminished. The was one last night around 7:30pm local time and one around 6:30am local time. Independent info can be had from the "philvocs" the site of the Phillipine volcanic society that is NOT attached to any tourism business.

Should you come here? That decision only you can make for yourself. Right now things look as peaceful as ever but of course that may change quickly.

Disaster management: What I critized was not the individual management by resorts. If it was smarter to evacuate to Manila having had to pass lower areas and battling with the traffic jams and potential road slides or walking up the mountain side and staying in an open area I leave up to you. What is missing is a master plan with set places to evacuate to and some functioning communication. Having been in disaster management for 10 years in Germany has given me some insight what is required and possible.

I'm a geologist - earthquakes are part of my day job (mineralization tends to be where the faults are). The only time I ever freaked out was when I was in an underground mine in an 8.8 quake.

I've been woken up by tremors in Lembeh more than once in the middle of the night, not stopped me from returning year after year. You want to dive in the Indo-Pacific, it's a risk you take.

Regarding disaster management, I was in Malapascua and Anilao over Christmas when the typhoon hit, and I thought the way Buceo Anilao handled the situation with transfers, access to backup power, etc. was top notch :) I'm booked to return in June for 2 weeks to "give it another go" so to speak, so will see how it all pans out.

Back
Top Bottom