Anilao April 2012 Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
Another great trip to Anilao (#2 for me). Stayed at Crystal Blue- great place & food, a week of beautiful weather, and 24 awesome dives. I checked-off a number of new critters from my list, and almost got a decent shot of a pygmy seahorse! (undoubtedly the hardest animal I've ever tried to "capture"). Plenty of photog's there, so I'm surprised not to see other's pic's posted/linked here? Anyhow, I always enjoy the reading here on PPD so I'll do my part. *I'm looking for an ID of the fish as noted "ID Help Needed", thanks.
Anilao 2012

He looks like a juvenile sweetlips... not that I know anything about what juvenile sweetlips actually look like
Nic

Edit:
Yep, he's a Diagramma labiosum (Juvenile painted sweetlips)

Wow, you actually saw a Bobbit worm? How big was it? I suspect I witnessed one at Dauin last year grabbing a lion fish and dragging it head first into the sandy bottom. Never saw the worm but can't imagine what else would take on a lion fish and hunt like that.

Great pictures, DSR-3!

jbb: There were at least 2 bobbit worms in the vicinity during that week... one at the pier and the other at Secret Bay, I believe.

Wow, you actually saw a Bobbit worm? How big was it? I suspect I witnessed one at Dauin last year grabbing a lion fish and dragging it head first into the sandy bottom. Never saw the worm but can't imagine what else would take on a lion fish and hunt like that.

You should check our Balanoy next time you're in Anilao, just on the other side of the Mainit peninsular to secret bay (i.e. 3-5 minutes by boat), nothing is guaranteed but there's a very high chance of seeing Bobbit Worms there!

Thanks for the comments and ID.
That Bobbit worm was at the Aniloa pier (1 of 2 there), and we saw another one later in the week. I think it was at Balanoy or near there. Bobbit worm invasion?? All about 20mm diameter, but I hear they're reeeealy long.
At the peir, guys were all set-up for pic's/video with tripods and all, then teasing it with a fish-on-a-stick. That thing was quick, making 1-2ft lunges. Luckily we found another (then another).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom