Angelita Cenote - definitely different!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dove Angelita Cenote, just south of Tulum, 3 weeks ago and found the dive very different. At about the 60 ft. level, there is a sulphur cloud that starts and ends like a thermocline. It was about 5 ft. thick. Once we broke through, about 80% of the sunlight is blocked with this yellowish-green cloud. Our guide advised us to remove any silver we had because it would turn black from the sulphur. We could also taste the sulphur as we passed through. Once through, we decended another 70ft. and began to circumnavigate the cenote looking at the overhangs that had stalagtites (mites)? hanging from them as well as cave entrances from the main chamber. Obviously, dive lights were in order. We slowly made our ascent keeping a close eye on our computers as we circumnavigated the cenote. (The cenote was only about a 40-50 yd. radius. It was an awesome sight :eek: as we broke through the cloud back into very clear water and sunlight. Looking up I could see the overhanging trees and the sun filtering through. My dive buddies looked like space aliens as they emerged from the cloud. If you're looking for something a little different in cenote diving, I highly recommend the sight. Be prepared to walk about 80 to 100 yds. in full gear down a path through the jungle to get to the lip of the cenote. Once there you have the option of a giant stride entrance from about 5 ft from the surface, or a climb-down using a rope. When exiting, care must be taken. You'll have to use a rope up a slight incline wearing everything but your fins. If anyone else has dove this cenote, I would like to hear your impressions. Thanks

Barracuda2

I went out with Sea Safaris out of Playa Del Carmen. I can't remember the name of the guide, but with his sunglasses on and a toothy smile, he looked just like Mel Gibson. When it came to open cenote and cavern diving, this guy knew his stuff.

Barracuda2

Sounds like a good experience all around. I'm going to be in Playa del Carmen in August, I'll have to check them out. Did you check out the guys at the Akumal dive center? They are supposed to be great as well.

M

Sea Safaris. I did some ocean diving with them, but was disappointed. The dive op. was good, but the reefs off Playa just didn't impress me. The reefs off Cozumel have much more sea life and live coral. Maybe I just wasn't in the right spot. One reef was really saw grass call The Green Wall. Noted for its large green turtles, we did see 7 or 8 on the dive. The second dive sort of bored me. I like to stop and observe things, but drift diving doesn't really allow this. If you see something 20 30 ft away, it's almost impossible to get to it. When I go back next Feb. I'm going to stay with cenote diving. I'm going to Belize in 4 weeks (one of my favorite spots) so I'll get my fill of reefs and walls on this trip.

Barracuda2

Thanks for the interesting write up. Remember, staligmites might hang from the ceiling but they don't.

Back
Top Bottom