Anemone and its Shrimp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the relationship between a sea anemone and the shrimp that lives on/ in it?

I was diving in Indonesia recently and saw something interesting. There was a shrimp on an anemone that I was trying to photograph. The shrimp was "jumping" around and made it difficult for me to get it in focus. On further observation, I thought that the shrimp wasn't really jumping on its own but it was being "bounced" around by the tentacles of the anemone.

Is that possible? Unfortunately at that time I did not think to video that and had subsequently deleted the photo of the shrimp that I tried to take.

The anemone mearly provides shelter for the shrimp that live on it. anemone tentacles do not have muscle in them to be able to "bounce" the shrimp around.

Ive seen similar behaviour in shrimp in Hong Kong, where they appear to bounce around. my thoughts are that they are probably just weary of you the diver.

Beejw.

The shrimp are most likely trying to entice you to chase him in amongst the Anemone's tentacles so that the Anemone and the shrimp could have a marvelous meal. After all you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. I think this is called a symbiotic relationship.

the shrimp cleans the anemone and in turn the anemone provides protection and meals for the shrimp. I have read that there are shrimp that inhabit anemones though I have not seen it. Other than shrimp you have anemone fish (or clown, or nemo), and juvenile damsel fish that are save to live in an anemone. I handle them quite often and for the first time yesterday felt the stinging of one. I scraped up my arm prett bad so the anemone was sting some raw flesh and it didn't feel to good.

Yes, apart from the shrimp, of which there are several species i think, there are quite a few anemone dwelling fish. the dark banded anemone fish, skunk anemone fish and of course the ever popular western clown fish, more commonly known as nemo :D

and yes, it is defined as a symbiotic relationship, where both organisms mutually bennefit from each others presence.

Tom Smedley:
The shrimp are most likely trying to entice you to chase him in amongst the Anemone's tentacles so that the Anemone and the shrimp could have a marvelous meal. After all you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
mmm... me looking yummy to the anemone and shrimp? Perhaps a little too much for them to stomach?

David P:
the shrimp cleans the anemone and in turn the anemone provides protection and meals for the shrimp. I have read that there are shrimp that inhabit anemones though I have not seen it. Other than shrimp you have anemone fish (or clown, or nemo), and juvenile damsel fish that are save to live in an anemone.
Besides shrimps and fish, there are also crabs that live on/ under anemones, among which is the porcelain crabs.

Oh god, please stop calling all clownfish "Nemo". It is so irritating to try to enjoy sea life at an aquarium anymore when that is childrens only focus, and their parents are even more annoying..."Do you see Nemo, baby, look it's Nemo! Does Nemo look like he's happy?" No mention of any other species.
gomi_

Why? I like to call clownfish as Nemo.
For non diving friend, nemo picture is what they want to see, or they can only identify 'Nemo', as I describe the wonder of diving, "You can see lots of happy Nemo!"

Clownfish, Clark, Pink, Orange, False anemonefish, they don't really care. But when you mention Nemo...

I think the colorful shrimp symbiotic to anemones are so interesting to watch.

From the reasearch I've done Nemo's are very viscious fish who would make sharks look like goldfish if the clownfish were as large.

I work in an aquarium and agree- the Nemo thing gets irritating. Not to mention they do not indigenous to my area- so we do not have them on display.

Although- we do display dory and gil. :)

The shrimp and anemone have symbiotic relationship as mentioned above.

Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom