Andros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perry64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm pretty sure that we're taking a vacation to Andros this summer, but we don't necessarily want to stay at a dive resort. (My wife can't dive anymore after a punctured lung, and being around nothing but diving depresses her.)

I'm worried because all the dive operations I can find on Andros are dive resorts which won't guarantee space unless you stay there. We're likely going in July, and they say they are very likely to have space then, but might not.

Does anyone have any experience with Andros without staying at a resort?

Does anyone know of any dive places on Andros that aren't resorts?

Thanks.
Perry

I think the only current place to dive is with Small Hope Bay. It is a great resort. They get a lot of non-divers who have a great time. There is a nice beach with snorkeling not too far off shore.

My experience has been at Small Hope Bay Lodge. I can't say enough positive about it.
It's a relaxing place to hang despite having some incredible diving. I lived there for 3 months while charting the Blue Holes of South Bight. I loved it.

There is a Hotel on Fresh Creek called the Marina. There was talk of it closing however. I go to Andros all the time for work. My advice would be Small Hope Bay. If you have never been to Andros before be forewarned that there is nothing, nothing to do on that Island but Fish and Dive. There are no good restaurants, no coffee houses, no malls, NOTHING. Good place to get away from it all, relax and read a good book if that isn't her cup of tea she will be bored to tears.

Thanks. We're getting a house near Morgan's Bluff, about as far north on North Andros as possible.

Small Hope looks like the best (only) option; I've found some other places on the 'net, but none seem to still be open. The only problem with Small Hope is that, since we're not staying there, they can't assure us we'll be able to dive - if they fill up with guests, we out of luck. That certainly makes sense, and they said the odds are very good, so we're going to give it a try, since my wife really likes this island.

We know there is nothing to do there but fish and dive and sit in the sun sipping rum, and that is fine with us. We like the smaller, less built-up islands, and even on those wonder, "What was this place like before it changed?" I think that this might be our chance to find out.

We will also be going SHBL for the first time this summer. I have read some good reports on this forum, so we wanted to give Small Hope Bay Lodge a try.

My experience has been at Small Hope Bay Lodge. I can't say enough positive about it.
It's a relaxing place to hang despite having some incredible diving. I lived there for 3 months while charting the Blue Holes of South Bight. I loved it.

OOh, can you tell us more about the Blue Holes? We've been to a couple on Eleuthera (inland) and will be visiting Dean's Blue Hole next month.

This is late on this post but I've been to both Andros and South Andros for diving. Small hope is a great place to dive and relax ... we loved it. We also went to south Andros for diving ... there are really no dive resorts in South Andros, but Jesse Leopold and Roggie offer a great diving experience. We rented a house on the beach (fairly inexpensive) and went diving with Jesse at the Andros Beach Club. Reefs are 1/4 mile off shore, your probably going to be the only ones in the group and the people are fantastic! We loved it so much we have been back four years running.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom