Andaman Islands Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laura1981

New
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to the Andaman Islands in November, and looking for any advice opinions. There aren't many recent comments, other than regarding the crocodile attack earlier this year.

? accomodation (relaxed, mid-budget, good food nearby)
? dive company (nice, knowledgable, decent equipment and safe)
? other nice things to do in addition to diving/hammocks (not strictly necessary)
? current crocodile situation - there was a detailed report on this on another thread stating that the crocodile that attacked on Havelock island was caught and put in Port Blair zoo, but I'm wondering what the official/local advice is at the moment.

:)

? current crocodile situation - there was a detailed report on this on another thread stating that the crocodile that attacked on Havelock island was caught and put in Port Blair zoo, but I'm wondering what the official/local advice is at the moment.
Personally, I would not let the crocodile risk deter me, but I wouldn't take any comfort in the fact that one particular crocodile was removed, either. Local advice would be useful, especially if it came from somebody without an interest in the local tourism industry. Good luck with that. I found this blog by the Madras Crocodile Bank Trust interesting:

The tragic death of Ms. Lauren Failla, an American national, on the 28th of April 2010 (at about 1615 hrs) by crocodile predation, was considered to be an extremely unlikely event given that it took place in open water over a coral reef, in an area lacking any mangrove refuge in the vicinity. The location was Neil’s cove off Radhanagar beach (no.7), the most popular beach in the Andaman Islands where no crocodile has ever been sighted before.

Thanks for your advice.

I'll try posting on the Asia forum.

The blog about the crocodile attack was interesting. I don't think it'l stop me going either, but it'd be nice to find some reassuring information.

Laura.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged in Asia forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom