And Now Stupid Diving News!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure of your point here. Could you explain further? You use both the terms jewfish and goliath grouper, and I am not clear on whether you are talking about two different fish or the same fish.

Yes, the Goliath Grouper is also called the Jewfish

OK, I think people are going overboard on the Cameron Diaz story.

First of all, comparing the grouper to a Volkswagen is a literary concept that has been called hyperbole for thousands of years. It is exaggeration to create an effect. The speaker never intends that the listener is going to believe it to be an actual attempt at an accurate description.

Next, signalling that you should pet it can be easily accomplished by pointing at it and making a petting motion.

Finally, notice that the word "oxygen" is in parentheses. That means she didn't actually say it. Whoever wrote the transcript added it in the theory that it was making things more clear.

Yup, clearly I overreacted with my initial response. I understand the hyperbole and the exaggeration, but many people who have little experience with diving might not take it in jest.

It just often peeves me when people make scuba diving seem dangerous and extreme to non-divers. It's not that bad among random people, but on a nationally-broadcasted talk-show from a famous celebrity, it might have a lot of people believing the wrong thing. Scuba diving can be dangerous, but if you practice safe habits, it should be relatively safe.

Back
Top Bottom