And Now For Something Completely Different

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Rather than our usual nudibranch hunt Merry and I joined Captain Andy for some diving that's off our beaten path. We began the day diving on an old Navy stockless anchor that Andy found recently. It sits upright in the sand all alone. There is a rock pile a few hundred feet away and the Star of Scotland less than a half mile from the anchor. We don't know if it was from the Star but it's way too large for the average fishing boat.

Star%20of%20Scotland%20anchor_zpslljg6rsw.jpg

Anchor_ART0170_zpsadnrnhjk.jpg

Anchor_ART0169_zpsn6dntgrb.jpg

Anchor_ART0171_zpsqbqzyem6.jpg

Anchor_ART0172_zpsm27wauyp.jpg

Anchor_ART0175_zpsuqzfsggq.jpg

Anchor_ART0177_zpsw2s5bfvy.jpg

Anchor_ART0178_zps8bf4eht5.jpg

After a short dive we moved north to a perplexing reef near Malibu. Thirty large concrete boxes lay end to end, some with a float and metal signs reaching to within twenty feet of the surface. There is so much growth on the signs that you can't read them. At least the fish seem to like the place. We saw three giant sea bass and a few sheepheads that were almost as large.

Habitats_ART0185_zps0aamroue.jpg

Habitats_ART0184_zpsritye3g9.jpg

Habitats_ART0189_zpsrddiyegd.jpg

Habitats_ART0199_zpskcrpxsmv.jpg

We interrupt our dive report for a public service announcement from Dr. Andrew Saxon.

Habitats_ART0214_zpseezreik9.jpg

For our next dive we headed south to the Department of Fish and Wildlife artificial reefs off Santa Monica, Rock pile #9 to be exact. While I was shooting wide angle Merry found a tiny Okenia angelensis nudibranch. I believe it is the one millionth species she has discovered.

Rockpile%209_ART0222_zpsjfsco8sg.jpg

Rockpile%209_ART0226_zps8uzbeapi.jpg

Rockpile%209_ART0231_zpsl4wzn0iw.jpg

Rockpile%209_ART0237_zpsy7fuyqsh.jpg

Rockpile%209_ART0251_zpszkixuo4l.jpg

Rockpile%209_ART0238_zps0ipkchni.jpg

I may leave my wide angle lens on for my next dive, but I'll soon be back to normal.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom