and now for something completely different

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maderadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yes i to am a Monty python fan

Anyways i was doing some digging on a diy project i am doing and i found this article about lithium metal. Batterys being developed by a company in Berkeley

Now my understanding is most people are scared of powering underwater device's ( or they should be) due to the fact that lithium reacts extremely violently with water even water in the air is bad enough this is why lithium batterys are airtight

But the lithium needs oxygen to react and make power so these genius's just changed the package basically the exterior when placed it water alows oxy in and out but no water technically water becomes the supply of catalyst

So basically means you can kiss having to waterproof your batterys goodby the batterys are high power 1/5 the weight and curently being tested for sea use to make sure there good for the long haul

But don't take my word for it

Waterproof Lithium-Air Batteries - Page 2 | MIT Technology Review

The future looks cooler every day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom