And must-do's in San Jose, Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking of going to the Galapagos or Cocos Islands in 2010 and was wondering if anyone would advise on which destination was best and time of year was best. I am interested in seeing big fish etc. I went to Coiba last March and it was great. I am a new member and hope I am using proper posting edequit (SP?). Thank you!

THa volcanoe is pretty spectacular and is a nice chill way to spend the day.

R Lee - never been to Galapagos but understand Sep / Oct is best. For Cocos Jul/Aug/Sep seem to be the best times, but have been there in Mar, May, Jun, Jul, Nov and there has never been a bad time. Going again in Aug.

Go to Irazu outside of Cartago (15 miles away- and a nice day trip) see the Senora de los Angeles Cathedral and the Black Virgen there; Get some holy water from the spring, IN SJ see the downtown Mercado, see the ruins, Go to the National Museo where the Army USED to be, go take in a show at the Teatro nacional, .....

LEE-Post your question on a new thread, you will be innudated by responses

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I heard that when I'm going, July, they were supposed to be at around 60 fsw and we would shoot up at them. Eric Cheng has a beautiful photo on Flickr taken in Galapagos. I PMed him on Wetpixel and asked him what his settings were.
I'm staying at a Best Western. Don't know exactly where it is. I think it's time for me to starting boning up. LOL

Hi Fairybasslet,

I think there may be more than one Best Western in San Jose, but if it is the downtown location, be aware that it is in a pretty rough neighborhood. Our shared van dropped a couple off there on the way to our favorite hotel In San Jose. It's inexpensive and has a little more local flavor and is in a nicer neighborhood: :: Welcome to Hotel Aranjuez::

Here is also a link to day tours from San Jose from Hotel Aranjuez: :: Hotel Aranjuez, tourist information ::. We did the Irazu-Orosi-Lankaster tour on a spare day. It's nice because you don't have to rent a car.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will be in Irazu and I think I'm kind of leaning toward the volcano for my free day.

They have some awesome white water rafting there! I've done the rapids there on a couple of occasions - phenomenal. Besides seeing the beauty that is CR you are out on the water. You hop a bus, they take you to the rafting site, you raft, eat, head back. Again, the hotel can set you up with that or you can get a hold of SwissTravel ahead of time. Heck I may still have their number, if it interests ya any.

FairyBasslet,
there are 2 Best Western in San Jose.
One downtown and the Best Western Irazu directly on the Highway to the Airport.
I was in both and found the one downtown less inviting than the Best Western Irazu and
the neighborhood downtown can be described as "rough" and not really a place to walk around.

There are so much Hotels in San Jose with marvellous viev to the central valley....
My favorite is: Costa Verde Inn

Chris

Hotels- Do the B and B across from the Nicaraguan embassy. Excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom