Anatomy of a cell phone bill (with a teenager on the plan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and one other thing. TM'g is the only way to get their attention it seems. They ignore VM or don't pick up the phone when they see it's the "parent" calling (which ticks me off since I pay the bill!!!) but send them a TM, they'll look at it right away because they think it's a friend.

lol...yea. hate that. Can't complain cause she will say "well, I was DRIVING" Might be true...seems she is always driving though. They are pros at BS, aren't they.

too many "what ifs" for her not to be in contact with everyone.

Yes, it's a different world and you have to stay relevant and up to speed. Try and do it the old fashioned way just doesn't always work very well.

plus...my convenience is in the equation somewhere, I am afraid.

I have NEVER text messaged anyone (unless you count IMs on the computer). I have never seen the need. My kids are on their own, but we added my daughter to our new cell account so we could get in touch with her easier. She pays her part of the bill, she transfers the money from her bank account to ours. My son has a different service.

One of my designers had a similar story of woe last summer. His 14 year old daughter was finally given a cell phone after years of whining for one. The first month she ran up a $1600+ bill. Music downloads, game downloads, picture emailing, video emailing. She ran up a huge bills with all of those "extra" fees that are so nice. He took my advice and cancelled the 2 year plan (cost him $350 to buy out of his contract) because he did not want a repeat performance of that first month.

Lancelot:
One of my designers had a similar story of woe last summer. His 14 year old daughter was finally given a cell phone after years of whining for one. The first month she ran up a $1600+ bill. Music downloads, game downloads, picture emailing, video emailing. She ran up a huge bills with all of those "extra" fees that are so nice. He took my advice and cancelled the 2 year plan (cost him $350 to buy out of his contract) because he did not want a repeat performance of that first month.
:11: :11: I feel for them.
What he could have done was cancel her email, internet and TM service. That way, she would still have calling ability and the parents could still keep track of her somewhat. Or else he could have gotten one of those prepaid phones. At least my son's bill was never that bad. Also, with some of those games, they charge you weekly. I called the carrier and told them my son thought it was just a one time charge so they took off the charges.

Dear god..............

When I was a teenager I didn't have a cell phone.
They weren't very popular here and were very, very expensive....

Of course I did spend huge amounts of time on the phone at home and the internet though

fairybasslet:
DISABLE INTERNET ACCESS!! There is not a bundled plan for that and that is what really adds up on the bill.

Sure there is, my Blackberry Unlimited Internet/Email is just a $19.95 add-on.

Ooops. duplicate post. I shouldn't talk on the phone (land line) while posting. LOL

ReefHound:
Sure there is, my Blackberry Unlimited Internet/Email is just a $19.95 add-on.
We're talking cellphones, not crackberries. And maybe there is an unlimited plan for the cell, but I already pay for internet service and if my son needs to send an email that badly, he can just go on the computer.

fairybasslet:
We're talking cellphones, not crackberries. And maybe there is an unlimited plan for the cell, but I already pay for internet service and if my son needs to send an email that badly, he can just go on the computer.

Blackberries ARE cell phones, and I wasn't speaking to whether that plan was right for anyone but simply that it is available, in response to your claim otherwise.

I paid $29.95 for my Blackberry on Amazon after all the rebates, how much did you pay for your "cellphone"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom