Anambas/natuna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(I can't believe I am breaking my silence for this but...) Not to disagree with my good friend Albion and the fish and chips seller but the Seven Skies wreck is almost exactly 12 miles southwest of P. Damar, Indonesia. It is also 45 miles northeast of P. Aur - the closest Malaysian island. This is based on Admiralty chart #3543.

The question is not whether the wreck is in Malaysian or Indonesian waters - it is whether it is in international or Indonesian waters. For further clarification, we are talking about the limit that countries are allowed to exert their laws, not some negotiated economic zone. (now reverting to being mum:D)

Zippsy:
(I can't believe I am breaking my silence for this but...) Not to disagree with my good friend Albion and the fish and chips seller but the Seven Skies wreck is almost exactly 12 miles southwest of P. Damar, Indonesia. It is also 45 miles northeast of P. Aur - the closest Malaysian island. This is based on Admiralty chart #3543.

The question is not whether the wreck is in Malaysian or Indonesian waters - it is whether it is in international or Indonesian waters. For further clarification, we are talking about the limit that countries are allowed to exert their laws, not some negotiated economic zone. (now reverting to being mum:D)

Zippsy, welcome back! I enjoyed reading many of your postings. Are you at "FINS"? I drop by that site once a while.

Yes you are absolutely correct. 7 Skies is closer to Pulau Damar(Indonesia) than to Aur(M'sia).

If you look at this link:
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/indonesian/indonesian-map/indo-map-fs.htm

You will see that Natuna/Anambas are actually closer to Malaysia. The boundary treaty was sign between Indonesia and Malaysia in 1969, less than 3 years after the end on Indonesia military invasion of Malaysia ended in May 28 1966. Malaysia was just happy to survive the invasion. If you look at the map again, the territory claimed by Indonesia was outrageous. But they have the biggest arm forces in South East Asia then and now, so they get what they want...... but the treaty was signed between the 2 countries and should be honored.

Referring to the the definitions:

Definition of Coastal Waters (3nm limit) - CW
Definition of Territorial Sea (12nm limit) - TS
Definition of Contiguous Zone (24nm limit) - CZ
Definition of Exclusive Economic Zone (200nm limit) - EEZ

The use, or non-use, of islands in establishing national jurisdiction over ocean space has been somewhat inconsistent and troublesome on a global scale for many years. Check out this link:
http://www-ibru.dur.ac.uk/pubs/mb.html
Read the section:
"Island Disputes and the Law of the Sea: An Examination of Sovereignty and Delimitation Disputes"

As you can see, it is a grey area. Futhermore, the boundary accord in 1969 set Aur as the baseline for M'sia(allow up to EEZ) and Pulau Damar as the boundary limit for Indonesia.

Today, tens of thousands of Indonesian work in S'pore and M'sia as foreign workers and send savings home. This is a good thing for Indonesia's economy. To send navy ships out to the neighbors front yard, into disputed water and demonstrate military strength, IMO, is just not good diplomatic relation.

frogfish:
Have the crew / boat now been released ?
Yes! Finally!!! I'd say it's Tiger time but I have something else to do first. :D

Back
Top Bottom