Analox CO Bump Testing Schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It appears to and I may be wrong, but, it appears as though you have to bump test the Analox handheld CO detector before each use. Zeroing I could see but a bump test each time? A kit with a can lasts about 20 tests according to Analox.

Anyone have more information about this?

Just re-read my instructions and such. There is no schedule. I believe I will bump test it at the beginning of a trip, in the humidity and pressure in which it will test a tank, and do the zero and bump test once.

Anyone? :idk:

Just re-read my instructions and such. There is no schedule. I believe I will bump test it at the beginning of a trip, in the humidity and pressure in which it will test a tank, and do the zero and bump test once.

Anyone? :idk:

Page 8 of the manual. Section 2.5 #2 reads:
2. Ensure that the instrument has been zero calibrated (see section 3.1) and bump tested (see section 3.2) before checking your tank.

Yep. And danged if I am going do it before every tank.

I see no reason to test it every tank. Zero it, yes, but test it maybe once per trip.

Anyone see anything wrong with that?

Yep. And danged if I am going do it before every tank.

I see no reason to test it every tank. Zero it, yes, but test it maybe once per trip.

Anyone see anything wrong with that?

The guy here who sells these said they need tested every time you use. I haven't had a chance to clarify with him if there is a period where it can sit and still remain calibrated, but I think the idea may be that if you use it, then to get it back to an exact true calibration you should use the bump gas every time.

He is an ex military engineer, so he will recommend by the book I am sure. I am going to ask around though.

That's a big can for only 20 uses that I saw.

Well, yeah, if you sell bump kits, I imagine you would encourage people to test before each and every use.

I cannot see the logic. The reader is supposed to respond between 7 & 13 ppm to a test spray certified at 10 ppm. That's + or - 3 ppm. nope, I would test it once per trip, maybe weekly if it is a long trip.

Tapatalk by Droid

The reason you bump test it is to make sure it is reading CO. It is not necessary to do it each time, but if you want there is free CO coming out of your vehicle exhaust. The easiest way to do this is to take the round "plug/insert out and use the large opening.

The issue is that you want a zero reading and the base is a zero reading. As such, the bump test ensures the unit is working. This testing is in contrast to an O2 monitor where the base reading is not zero, 20.9%. So with a O2 monitor one knows it is not working when the reading can not set to 20.9%. Further, when it is used you typically know the percent you are looking for. If you do not get it you that either the O2 monitor or the mix is fubar. Either way you have a problem.

Going back to the CO monitor the only way to know that something is fubar is by doing a bump test to to see if the unit is responding. How often should one do a bump test. For me any time the unit has sat unused for an extended period of time. I will bump test and the go off on a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom