Anacapa Report Aug. 9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parabolic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
First the good news: I did three dives at Anacapa Island yesterday in beautiful summer conditions, seas calm, sky clear, air temp low 80s, water temp 65-70F, viz about 50 ft. Bad news: I did not see a black sea bass. They were seen by other divers on 2 of the 3 dives, but not by me. Divers who saw them estimated weight at about 300#. What a comeback they have made, hope I get to see one. They are one of the few things left on my underwater "wish list". Here's some things I did see:

Do you think anybody out there will think this is a black sea bass? If so, this is a black sea bass:

Calico_s.jpg

The Spanish Shawl is one of the most beautiful nudibranchs in the world. But it is so common that I think its beauty is taken for granted. Why is it that familiarity seems to make a beautiful thing less beautiful?

Shawl_s.jpg

If you chase a Garibaldi you will get a lot of tail shots and out-of-focus blurry photos. However if you ignore one in your vicinity, it will drive him crazy and he will attack your lens port, try to get in your BC, and be a general annoyance for the rest of your dive.

Garibaldi1_s.jpg

Not much kelp yesterday. Might be the warm weather. Alert Al Gore.

Kelp_s.jpg

For all you UCLA Bruin fans:

Mexichromis_s.jpg

Coral Reef, IMHO Anacapa's premiere divesite, was carpeted with brittle stars. Every year at this time some primordial urge causes these beautiful little things to crawl out of their hiding places and congregate in the millions in certain locations. Even a frumpy lemon dorid looks pretty good with that background.

Dorid_s.jpg

Hey those are some awsome pics. I really like the close up of the kelp and Garibaldi.

LOL, I luv the nudi sporting UCLA team colors... now how about a red and yellow USC one!

Awesome pics Ken. I can't wait for next weeks trip on the Vision. Get plenty of Spanish Shawls around here, but I haven't seen any of those other nudis. I think they might be afraid of the darker blue competition. Go Bears! (I'm sure those Bruins fans remember the good old days, when they could still beat us like drums).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom