An open offer to the coast...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have spent hours beating my head aganst the wall. Can't seem to get anywhere. I know I should have done all this before.......If anyone in the gulf coast area that has been hit by this disaster would like my help for a couple of weeks, I will be there in a couple of days. I again butted heads with the red cross about there total lack of flexability. I have tried to get someplace with the coast guard. I have sent emails to EMS folks.
So here is the offer. I have two weeks or more to donate to an agency that needs any of my skills. Paramedic, Firefighter, HAZWOPER Sup/HAZMAT Spec, US Merchant Marine Master (boat captain), heavy equipment operator, heck, I'll even cook. I'll buy my ticket and can fend for myself.
If you know of a vollie ambulance service/fire dept, rescue team or whatever that could use a hand, please give me a contact. Thank you.

Try Mississippi - Louisiana has no organized infrastructure to support single individuals showing up right now.
http://www.dps.state.ms.us/
Failing that, if you just show up in Baton Rouge or Jackson, MS, you might find someone who will take you on. Maybe even FEMA itself.
Good luck with all that.

Get a photo ID badge of some sort from some agency.

The Feds are slow to show, but after they show you're looking at roadblocks into areas and controlled access. They're real good at access control.

You might find yourself cooling your heels at a checkpoint without being allowed to proceed further, 'cause no one knows (or cares) that you're coming...remember, its going to be a complete CF down there for quite awhile...

Good luck,

Doc

PS I'm told that there will soon be a call for volunteer fire fighters, came from a firefighter. PM me if you're interested in details.

Let me clarify this. Im not just going to show up. That just adds to the problems. Im looking for someone who needs a hand and I have to have a commitment from them to do this. There are hundreds of jobs I could do there but Im just looking for a couple of weeeks for free....When disasters hit, the folks that deal with them also have homes and families to deal with too. Thats who Id like to help out. EMS, fire, whatever, Im willing to chip in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom