An instructor question that is bugging me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve got something that is bugging me a little I witnessed a few days ago. Maybe I shouldn’t ask this here with a lot of new divers coming to the board an all but I’m confused myself on it. I always would like to think I stay within the realm of safety while diving or try to at least.

A few days ago I was out diving with some friends my max depth was at 115 fsw for ten min so that made each of us pretty close. As we were all on the small structure and flat bottom. We made our dive and accent back to the boat safety stop included. We put our gear away and prepared to call it a day. The Capt. And boat owner I would also like to mention a ex instructor and a good friend went to pull up the anchor and it was stuck he preceded to grab some fins mask weight belt and a pony tank and off he went he had to drop like a rock and shoot straight back up and climbed back onto the boat with the time it took him.

Now I’ve done some bounce dives before while fishing but nothing like this. I got him to the side and questioned him about his dive and he just smiled and said the old saying do what I say not as I do.

Now my question would be just what kind if risk factor did he take doing this?.

tom wicker:
I’ve got something that is bugging me a little I witnessed a few days ago. Maybe I shouldn’t ask this here with a lot of new divers coming to the board an all but I’m confused myself on it. I always would like to think I stay within the realm of safety while diving or try to at least.

A few days ago I was out diving with some friends my max depth was at 115 fsw for ten min so that made each of us pretty close. As we were all on the small structure and flat bottom. We made our dive and accent back to the boat safety stop included. We put our gear away and prepared to call it a day. The Capt. And boat owner I would also like to mention a ex instructor and a good friend went to pull up the anchor and it was stuck he preceded to grab some fins mask weight belt and a pony tank and off he went he had to drop like a rock and shoot straight back up and climbed back onto the boat with the time it took him.

Now I’ve done some bounce dives before while fishing but nothing like this. I got him to the side and questioned him about his dive and he just smiled and said the old saying do what I say not as I do.

Huge.

The problem is that after such a borderline NDL dive, there will be bubbles in the blood.. but they're in the venous system and get effectively filtered out by the lungs.

Doing a bounce dive can compress the bubbles and allow them to pass the lungs, so that you suddenly have bubbles in your arteries when you're coming back up... and this can bend you pretty badly.

What this instructor did was very very risky.

tom wicker:

Film at 11 / notify next of kin risk factor.

jonnythan:
The problem is that after such a borderline NDL dive, there will be bubbles in the blood.. but they're in the venous system and get effectively filtered out by the lungs.
There is nothing in the post where it said the Captain was diving. He could of been sitting on the boat waiting for the divers and when he wanted to leave, the anchor was stuck.

and if that was the case...worst things happen in diving.

JeffG:
There is nothing in the post where it said the Captain was diving. He could of been sitting on the boat waiting for the divers and when he wanted to leave, the anchor was stuck.

and if that was the case...worst things happen in diving.

Jeff
That was the whole problem he maybe had two 2 min. less bottom time at the most. From everything I have been taught and picked up over the years he was just lucky. But his action had me second guessing myself that maybe I had missed something along the way. It may sound stupid but have you ever had something stick in your head you just cant figure out and you get to the point of thinking well maybe I’m wrong?. None of us was new to diving we were advanced and above myself with 8yr of diving and most of them a lot more years Not one of them even bat an eye over this and went on like it was normal

So the bottom line is I was just questing myself was I wrong in thinking my friend was just lucky

That was my question Jeff, had he been diving or was he surface support? It he was surface support, then the only real problem I see is the pony. I would not care to go down with so little air reserve. On the other hand had he been diving then it's was a pretty risky thing to do as far as DCS is concerned.

What's described was a pretty standard spearfishing profile, not that long ago. Some still do it.
Most of the time you get away with it.
Occasionally somebody gets bent.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
What's described was a pretty standard spearfishing profile, not that long ago. Some still do it.
Most of the time you get away with it.
Occasionally somebody gets bent.
Rick

Rick
I understand the practice of bounce diving while fishing I’ve done it a many times with not much bottom time before hand. Am I understanding you correctly even with the extended bottom time we all had, a quick bounce afterwards would have little effect on the diver because of the time factor involved? :confused: ( Yes he was on the bottom before hand with us)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom