AN/DP for a Sidemount Diver from a non-Sidemount Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, congratulations on the new family member!

Second, diving with you would be great, but I want to clarify that I am taking my SM and Cave course with Protec this January, so I'm not quite tec certified yet :) I do presently dive BP/W with a single and pony, and manage my drysuit properly. I'm located near Vancouver WA.

Thanks. I have the most beautiful baby girl. Of course, every parent says that, and no parent is wrong.

No matter on being tech certified. I've backed off on tech diving due to diving so little. So hopefully we can meet up sometime for rec dives.

It's definitely good to have options, and my present kit supports twinsets, so I could see going there at some point, especially if the boat captain dislikes SM. I rented 133's last weekend and kept whacking my head in a single configuration, which turned me off on the height, but I guess that would be less of an issue with a twinset as the isolator would be in that space instead, only further back? Also, thanks for all the input!
I don't know why you would wack you head anymore in 130s than you would in any other tank? What BC were you using? In a BW/W and 2 strap STA the top strap goes all the way up at the crown of the tank. No matter what tank it is - the extra length goes down by your butt.

I don't know why you would wack you head anymore in 130s than you would in any other tank? What BC were you using? In a BW/W and 2 strap STA the top strap goes all the way up at the crown of the tank. No matter what tank it is - the extra length goes down by your butt.

I end up with heavy feet if I do that with a longer tank, so I average the difference instead (not necessary with 117's). A trim weight helps, but not enough unless I use more than a couple of pounds. And since I end up in some weird contortions while shooting photos I keep my drysuit inflation on the lean side. This isn't to say that there isn't a better way, just the best I've figured out so far. I presently dive an Apeks WTX.

I end up with heavy feet if I do that with a longer tank, so I average the difference instead (not necessary with 117's). A trim weight helps, but not enough unless I use more than a couple of pounds. And since I end up in some weird contortions while shooting photos I keep my drysuit inflation on the lean side. This isn't to say that there isn't a better way, just the best I've figured out so far. I presently dive an Apeks WTX.
have you taken intro to tech or gue-f or something like that?

the tails of the tanks are the light end

have you taken intro to tech or gue-f or something like that?

the tails of the tanks are the light end

All classes have been via PADI thus far (all that my local shop offers), but SM and Cave will be conducted under TDI/PSAI (my choice), so I expect training will be conducted much more rigorously. With PADI I have Rescue, Nitrox, and Self-Reliant, which in my mind equates to what should have been covered in AOW :)

There are benefits to learning from an instructor who teaches in your local environment but from what I have read here your best bet might be to take AN/DP (or whatever PSAI equivalent) from PROTEC. I have been diving with those guys for quite a number of years now and they have been consistantly top notch in their attitude to safety and their no nonsense approach to training.

All classes have been via PADI thus far (all that my local shop offers), but SM and Cave will be conducted under TDI/PSAI (my choice), so I expect training will be conducted much more rigorously. With PADI I have Rescue, Nitrox, and Self-Reliant, which in my mind equates to what should have been covered in AOW :)
I can’t recommend fundies enough before you proceed. The difference is huge and once (if) you take it, you’ll see what I mean.

I can’t recommend fundies enough before you proceed. The difference is huge and once (if) you take it, you’ll see what I mean.

I've gone back and forth on whether to take fundies. I've read Beyond the Daylight Zone and borrowed heavily from it (canister light, 7ft hose, no dangling gear), but clearly if we could learn everything from manuals we wouldn't have instructors, so I can't claim to be anything beyond GUE inspired in my practices. That said, if I told you that taking fundies before SM and Cave 1 wasn't possible (vacation and financial limitations), would you still say there is sufficient value in taking it post, but before AN/DP? From the assigned reading material for Cave 1, much of GUE's structure seems to have been inspired by cave diving and brought into broader practice, but could be an incorrect observation on my part.

I've gone back and forth on whether to take fundies. I've read Beyond the Daylight Zone and borrowed heavily from it (canister light, 7ft hose, no dangling gear), but clearly if we could learn everything from manuals we wouldn't have instructors, so I can't claim to be anything beyond GUE inspired in my practices. That said, if I told you that taking fundies before SM and Cave 1 wasn't possible (vacation and financial limitations), would you still say there is sufficient value in taking it post, but before AN/DP? From the assigned reading material for Cave 1, much of GUE's structure seems to have been inspired by cave diving and brought into broader practice, but could be an incorrect observation on my part.

First I have no idea to your current skillset. If you were to take fundies prior, then your training time in your sm and cave 1 courses will be better utilized. If you take fundies after, then.there is diminishing returns. There is always the option of hiring a GUE instructor for a tuneup workshop where you just pay for time. I've done that post fundies with a different instructor. If possible, one day I'd like to do a SM workshop with a GUE SM instructor, as I will not be going through the GUE system for obvious reasons.

First I have no idea to your current skillset. If you were to take fundies prior, then your training time in your sm and cave 1 courses will be better utilized. If you take fundies after, then.there is diminishing returns. There is always the option of hiring a GUE instructor for a tuneup workshop where you just pay for time. I've done that post fundies with a different instructor. If possible, one day I'd like to do a SM workshop with a GUE SM instructor, as I will not be going through the GUE system for obvious reasons.

Thanks, that's a fair answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom