An atypical inner ear barotrauma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin,

Your condition sounds a little bit like something that I have myself. I have never had difficulty equalizing, but I started having tinnitus that was associated with going to pressure in the hyperbaric chamber. The onset was delayed, just like yours. I wouldn't notice it after the dive, I'd notice it after I woke up the next morning. My mistake, I believe, was in continuing to dive, which I think worsened the tinnitus (my ears are ringing as I type - the intensity varies but it's always there). I've since changed to a non-diving position at work. I have been worked up by some of the best ENTs and diving physicians in the business and nobody can tell me what's going on. My own theory, offered with the caveat that it's just that and not a medical diagnosis, is that there is/was an acute-on-chronic inner ear inflammatory process at work that somehow activated the tinnitus mechanism in the brain. Yours may (emphasis on the MAY) be more directly tied to non-fistulating inner ear barotrauma.

I would be very interested in hearing from any other divers who have similar symptoms. If I can get enough cases together, this may be publishable. @doctormike: your input here would be valuable.

Best regards,
DDM

Huh, just happened to see this thread.... Sorry, Eric, I don't think that "@doctormike" works here! :D

In any case, it certainly seems possible for sudden pressure changes in the middle ear to be transmitted to the inner ear without a fistula, and therefore without symptoms of dizziness, etc.. Tinnitus is one of the most frustrating and least understood symptoms in otology, and it's not clear if the noise is actually generated by the ears, or if it's just the brain's way of responding to an abnormal electrical signal (kind or a moot point until someone figures out how to interrupt that process). For example, vertigo is the brain's way of reacting to asymmetric inputs from the two labyrinths (the part of the inner ear involved in balance).

As far as the timing goes, since we really don't understand the pathophysiology of tinnitus, it's hard to be definitive about that either. Certainly, one could imagine a traumatic injury caused by a forceful valsalva with a shock wave going through the inner ear fluid that resulted in a progressive change in the inner ear structures. It sure seems that in the OPs case, there was some temporal relationship, even though it wasn't an immediate association.

I wish that I could be more helpful!

Mike

Huh, just happened to see this thread.... Sorry, Eric, I don't think that "@doctormike" works here! :D

In any case, it certainly seems possible for sudden pressure changes in the middle ear to be transmitted to the inner ear without a fistula, and therefore without symptoms of dizziness, etc.. Tinnitus is one of the most frustrating and least understood symptoms in otology, and it's not clear if the noise is actually generated by the ears, or if it's just the brain's way of responding to an abnormal electrical signal (kind or a moot point until someone figures out how to interrupt that process). For example, vertigo is the brain's way of reacting to asymmetric inputs from the two labyrinths (the part of the inner ear involved in balance).

As far as the timing goes, since we really don't understand the pathophysiology of tinnitus, it's hard to be definitive about that either. Certainly, one could imagine a traumatic injury caused by a forceful valsalva with a shock wave going through the inner ear fluid that resulted in a progressive change in the inner ear structures. It sure seems that in the OPs case, there was some temporal relationship, even though it wasn't an immediate association.

I wish that I could be more helpful!

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for your information.

What is meant by OP?

Have you ever heard/come across a case similar to my situation (very delayed onset of tinnitus (11 days) without other symptoms)?

At this point, anything I can do to remedy my situation?

--Kelvin

Having said that, did you mean the physical trauma was the cause and the dive was the straw on the camel for the increase in tinnitus?
I'm not a physician, so I can't point to any cause-effect relationship.

The correlation certainly indicates that there is a causal relationship here, but not having dived since I experienced what I described, I don't know if it's a permanent or a temporary phenomenon either. It's just one single datapoint.

Mike,

Thanks for your information.

What is meant by OP?

Have you ever heard/come across a case similar to my situation (very delayed onset of tinnitus (11 days) without other symptoms)?

At this point, anything I can do to remedy my situation?

--Kelvin

Hi, Kelvin...

OP is you (Original Poster), it refers to the person who started the thread.

I have not seen anything like this, but I'm a pediatric ENT doctor, so I don't see a lot of tinnitus in my practice. As I mentioned, tinnitus is a poorly understood phenomenon, and there aren't a lot of reliable treatments. Some people have had luck with various devices, but not something that I use in my practice. Sometimes, patient support groups like the ATA are helpful: American Tinnitus Association

Kevin,

Your condition sounds a little bit like something that I have myself. I have never had difficulty equalizing, but I started having tinnitus that was associated with going to pressure in the hyperbaric chamber. The onset was delayed, just like yours. I wouldn't notice it after the dive, I'd notice it after I woke up the next morning. My mistake, I believe, was in continuing to dive, which I think worsened the tinnitus (my ears are ringing as I type - the intensity varies but it's always there). I've since changed to a non-diving position at work. I have been worked up by some of the best ENTs and diving physicians in the business and nobody can tell me what's going on. My own theory, offered with the caveat that it's just that and not a medical diagnosis, is that there is/was an acute-on-chronic inner ear inflammatory process at work that somehow activated the tinnitus mechanism in the brain. Yours may (emphasis on the MAY) be more directly tied to non-fistulating inner ear barotrauma.

I would be very interested in hearing from any other divers who have similar symptoms. If I can get enough cases together, this may be publishable. @doctormike: your input here would be valuable.

Best regards,
DDM
Eric,

Why you related your tinnitus to the pressure of the hyperbaric chamber instead of the dive the day before? Was there something bad happened in the hyperbaric chamber?

Kelvin

Back
Top Bottom