Amphos Air - serial O ring ‘blower’

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubled checked the first stage and the SR2 doesn't have the same potential plastic issues. Here are two pics. Is the seating still potentially an issue? Would be strange is certified techs messed this up? Pics attached...

IMG_9401.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

That's not right. Unless the light is catching it oddly, it looks like the o-ring is already extruding!
There should be no gap at all.
Try this: remove the transmitter and don't put any oring on it at all.
Screw it back in lightly, and that gap with the oring in it should completely disappear. No light should get past it. This test is to check on the comment by @herman above, to see if the threaded portion from the transmitter is too long and is bottoming out against the HP port.
If it screws in with no gap, then my guess is that techs have used too large an oring, and it's not dropping into the land inside the HP port, but is instead getting sandwiched. In other words, ask the shop to try a duro 90 2-011, and put it together one more time.
If that oring appears again in the gap, then next fix would be a short (or long) HP hose, to see if it's just an odd disparity that appears because the two flat faces of the reg and the transmitter are not matching. A hose shouldn't have that issue. That'll at least let you dive it until you get a 4-6" hose or a rigid standoff.
For two Sherwood products, the fact that they're not mating is perplexing.

I agree, remove the oring, screw it in until it bottoms out (just barely snug) and look for any gap, there should be none. You should see metal to metal contact all the way around the transmitter.
I don't mean to be critical of the great techs out there but unfortunately there are a lot of "certified" techs who have no clue what they are doing. They set in a short class, were totally lost but walked out of it being "certified". I have been in such a class, it was totally useless. My classmates were obviously clueless but walked out certified.

I don't have one of those 1st stages to examine, but it looks like that crescent gap may be the curvature of the circular opening in the cylindrical body.
I too thought it looks like the transmitter is not quite able to screw in far enough for the two flat faces to meet. That is a standard Pelagic transmitter, nothing Sherwood specific.

Aside from a short hose, here is an example of an HP extender that may also solve the issue. When you get home, maybe have your Sherwood LDS contact them to see if they are aware of the issue.
High Pressure Extender

That probably wasn’t the best pictures to post (it was a blown o-ring) but...

Great advise everyone and spot on. Sherwood warranty repairs jumped in and expediated a repair since my computer was also acting up and I am leaving for a trip in 10 days.

Haven’t tested it post repair (two weeks from now) but Sherwood said the HPPs (both) were too shallow and swapped out my first stage. Not sure if a manufacturing lot defect or affected early productions but appreciate their quick service (kudos!). I have bought a short HP hose and o-rings to take with me just in case.

Thank you for everyone’s advice!

That probably wasn’t the best pictures to post (it was a blown o-ring) but...

Great advise everyone and spot on. Sherwood warranty repairs jumped in and expediated a repair since my computer was also acting up and I am leaving for a trip in 10 days.

Haven’t tested it post repair (two weeks from now) but Sherwood said the HPPs (both) were too shallow and swapped out my first stage. Not sure if a manufacturing lot defect or affected early productions but appreciate their quick service (kudos!). I have bought a short HP hose and o-rings to take with me just in case.

Thank you for everyone’s advice!
If I have the timeline right, that is near instaneous turn around with Sherwood. How did you do that? Or were they already familiar with the issue once contacted, diagnosed it sight unseen, and old/new parts are still in transit?

But, glad to know it is resolved. I think that is the newest 1st stage in their lineup, so maybe still ironing out some kinks. All other Sherwood models use a common 1st, the 9000 series.

I contacted Sherwood while still away. It took one working day for them to reply to me and I Fedex'd it to them the same day. Seems as though they knew what the problem might be. Great service though - I am really pleased given I am heading on another trip next week.

Yes, new parts are still on their way to me. Should get them tomorrow (shipped 2 day Fedex back).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom