Amphibious Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_guy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A work mate showed me this and I though what an awesome dive boat this would make!!!
SEALEGS - Amphibious Boats Sealegs

It just needs to have a tank rack and a foldable ladder then it would be perfect

sealegs-3.jpg

Does it have a hole in the floor to jump through too?

N

That would be nice, but I enjoy the disorientation that you get when you so the standard SCUBA backroll.

Back in the early 70's, I had an amphibious dive boat out here on Catalina. Unfortunately it spent far more time on land where I could get it repaired and maintained (engine rebuild, hull scraped, etc.) as you can see in this image. Shortly after I spent half a year's salary getting it cherried out (this pic), it decided it liked the other side of its amphibious life and sank to the bottom where it rests today (at least what little is left of it)!

Bill%20and%20Eleutheria%2002%202400%20med.jpg

Back around 1977 I bought a homemade pontoon boat from a navy officer for 50 bucks. The pontoon logs were airplane drop fuel tanks that looked like torpedoes. The wheels to tranport it were built onto it and would swing up once it was in the water. It even had a very small cabin in the front that was 4 feet tall. Going down the road it looked like it would come apart and would shimmy so bad I could hardly hold the steering wheel. I had it for one summer and had fun using it on fresh water rivers. It had a 1950's 35 hp evinrude with an electric start engine. Never got a battery for it and would have to take mine out of my 1961 Willis jeep pick-up to start it. Man, those were the days!

That Sealegs boat was kinda cool. You could get a beater trailer for long hauls that you wouldn't have to dunk in salt water.
I could see some itinerant tinkerer putting some folding wings on it and flying it.

Back in the early 70's, I had an amphibious dive boat out here on Catalina. Unfortunately it spent far more time on land where I could get it repaired and maintained (engine rebuild, hull scraped, etc.) as you can see in this image. Shortly after I spent half a year's salary getting it cherried out (this pic), it decided it liked the other side of its amphibious life and sank to the bottom where it rests today (at least what little is left of it)!

Bill%20and%20Eleutheria%2002%202400%20med.jpg

Is that a amphibious boat or a boat with a truck chasis strapped on??? Love the 70s hair-do!

I was surrised by the speeds. This thing flies and holds up to 1100 lbs. It doesn't look like they have a U.S. distributor yet. I'm not in the market, but I'm curious about the cost.

From what I can gather they start from AU$49,500 for barebones entry level. I have seen one that cost AU$80,000 that had a few "bells & whistles" on it

From what I can gather they start from AU$49,500 for barebones entry level. I have seen one that cost AU$80,000 that had a few "bells & whistles" on it

Wow, that's $47,549.70 to $76,848.00 U.S. before any export fees or other dealer expenses. Then again, a new left over 07 Grady White 20' is ~$56,000 and an 08 19' AB RIB is ~$35,000 and neither have the ability to drive on land. Maybe these are reasonable. I'd love to have one as a backup boat, but I think I'll wait until there is a decent used inventory (and I know they're reliable). Thanks for the answer tom_guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom