Ambon vs. Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethr524

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are looking to dive in Indonesia next November, and we're considering Ambon as well as Wakatobi. Would love to hear from divers who have been to one or both with their input on which is best and why, what we might see in one locale vs. the other, whether max. bottom line is enforced in one vs. the other (we like to do long dives), and what other considerations we should be aware of in making our decision on which place to go to. We've been diving in Lembeh Straits and Bunaken in the past, as well as in Raja Ampat. So we have some experience in some areas of Indonesia. Preferring a land-based operation, though we haven't ruled out a liveaboard if it's calm and would be that much better.

Thoughts you can share on Ambon and Wakatobi?

So Ambon is significantly less expensive than Wakatobi? Does the diving in Wakatobi justify the higher prices? Or is it just that the accommodations/food are that much better?

BTW, this trip is on our Bucket List, so we're hoping it'll be great.

Last edited:
Accomodation & services tailored to high end western demand. FWIW I've never heard anyone who's dived both opt for a repeat to Wakatobi.

I was in Wakatobi Resort in 2009. Not much big fish there, just a bunch of teeny weeny ones with some good corals.

Went to Ambon in 2017. Plan to return in 2019.

Since you are considering Wakatobi Resort & willing to spend that kind of money, have you been in Misool Eco Resort?

Stayed at Wakatobi Resort in December 2016 and will be in Raja and Ambon this December. We loved Wakatobi for the diving, the resort and the "valet" care they give. If we returned, we'd spend more time on the Pelagian (the resort's live-a-board) because the sights were more varied and got to do some decent muck diving. We'd go back after we hit our 70s due to the valet nature of the place (health and finances allowing). Agree with Dan_T, if we planned to spend the same money, we'd go to Misool Eco Resort and add a few days in Ambon. This coming trip is a Raja live-a-board and a few days in Ambon with our local dive shop and pals.

Rob

If you like medium to macro size subjects Ambon is the best choice. Similar marine life to Lembeh without the crowds.
I've been diving with Maluku Divers for several years - always great service & photo subjects.

Just a brief comment, though you are probably aware of it already. Ambon has fantastic muck diving, but almost no reefs at all. Wakatobi is mostly about the beautiful reefscape and good fish density, but not really a critter destination. So that is the main difference that would dictate how to decide, in addition to cost, travel constraints, availability, etc. I have not been to Wakatobi in several years. While I loved it, I prefer either Raja Ampat or Komodo via liveaboard for a similar type of diving with even more variety and healthy reefs. In Ambon, I enjoyed the muck diving a lot, but I always made it part of a larger trip that included good reefscapes. I stayed at the Maluku Dive Resort in Ambon, which I liked very much. I just got back from a trip that combined Ambon with Raja Ampat, and if you can swing a trip similar to that, you get a good sampling of muck and reef diving, and the best of both.

Hi bethr524, I've been to Wakatobi Resort once and to Ambon twice, both times with Dive Into Ambon (old and new locations).

In my opinion, Wakatobi is good diving and they take great care of you, and it is very expensive. Ambon is great diving (provided you like macro critters), good accommodation and food and price varies from Maluku Divers (high) to Dive Into Ambon (reasonable). (There are a couple of newer, probably cheaper resorts as well)

Maluku Divers is on the "main" bay so the diving they do is all macro and the sites are very close by (as is the airport). D Into A is about 30-40 minutes away. Their approach is to dive the "main" bay as well as the reef areas of Ambon. Not much by way of big fish, but some really spectacular colourful soft corals at some sites. For the macro life, I would rate Lembeh first and Ambon second. (Anilao and Bali and Weda would follow). DIA tends to alternate between the macro sites and the reef sites. When they go out, they go out for the full day - the packed lunch needs improvement in my opinion. Wakatobi comes back for lunch, if I remember correctly.

Not much by way of big fish at Wakatobi either and the macro life was just Indonesia average compared to Ambon.

Long dives - how long do you mean? DIA certainly did not limit times and I don't remember that at Wakatobi either. However, if you are the type that stays under for 90 minutes every dive, well then, ......:)

There is a good wreck in the Ambon bay.

Hope that helps.

Ambon has fantastic muck diving, but almost no reefs at all.
I would like to temper this assertion. It's probably what you may think once you stay at Maluku Divers but it is définitely not the reality of Ambon.
You can combine both reef and muck diving in Ambon, then do not stay with Maluku Divers and rather select DIA.

Just a couple of images procing there is something else than muck on the south coast of Ambon.

5515597141_7e03b20c27_z.jpg

5516188870_611d4a5dcb_z.jpg

DIA can also arrange diving on the nearby Lease island (Haruku, etc.)

8412665616_2401058b35_z.jpg

8405755255_896ae2929e_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom