Ambergris in Feb - Questions from a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oddible

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Newbie diver here, haven't even finished my PADI course though have scheduled my open water dives in a dry suit in Vancouver, BC (brrr~) this month so be gentle :)

My wife and I have scheduled a trip to San Pedro in mid-February but as this is our first time I have a few questions. First, is it critical to make reservations for local dives before we get there? I've noticed several websites and travel blogs mentioning prices for local dives that are quite a bit cheaper than what most dive shops have listed on their sites - I was wondering if it is better to just make the reservations when we get their or were these other prices I found perhaps old and I should make all my reservations via the web before I get there?

As far as wetsuits go, my wife has a 4/3 that she uses for windsurfing in Vancouver during the summer. Will this be too much? She gets cold easily. Probably doesn't hurt to bring it I guess and we can always rent a 3/2 if she is too hot.

I heard a recommendation to do a Hol Chan dive for our first dive down there since it will be our first tropical dive and it isn't that deep. Sound reasonable? Any other recommended beginner dives?

We don't have lights or knives - will either be essential gear for this trip? Should we rent?

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting certified. Yes it is a good idea to do HolChan as your first dive as it is only 30' deep and it does not call for a typical safety stop. It starts out and finishes as a sloping dive.

As for your wife's wet suit, the 4/3 might be perfect if she gets cold easily. In Feb the water is usually in the low 80's

As for price you need to determine which dive company you want to dive with first. (price, you get what you pay for) I would contact the dive center ahead of time and ask them is the have any discounts they can offer you for that period of time. Usually if you are going to be diving the entire week, they will offer you some sort of discount.

Lastly; you do NOT need your knife but if you are going to do a night dive you will save the price of renting a light.

What DC's are you looking to dive with?

What DC's are you looking to dive with?

Thanks for the info. I spoke to AquaDives and AmbergrisDivers on Skype this week. Saw some good reviews of AqueDives. However, after poking around the scubaboard.com forums I'm looking into ecologic divers as well now.

Is there a common way to get someone's attention when diving that doesn't involve pulling a knife to rap on my tank or buying some expensive gadget?

EDIT: Just found this thread on underwater noisemakers -
scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/77971-underwater-attention-getters.html
(won't let me post an URL yet)

Good Choice on ecologic divers, i believe you will be happy diving with them or maybe Chuck and Robbies. You can check what others think about them on Trip Advisor "things to do in San Pedro"

As for the use of a tank banger, there are several types of rattlers, you can made one from pipe and add a few bolts inside the pipe. or buy one commercially. Better yet got tho the hardware store and get a Stainless Clip, you can attach it to you D ring. It is better not to use a knife to bang on a tank. I saw a guest cut their BC by accident that way using a knife.

I agree with what has been said. As to choice of dive center, there are quite a few good ones so it largely depends where you will be staying and whether you'd prefer to be with a local operation that you can walk to (as I would) or whether you're happy being picked up and then dropped off afterwards. Also whether you prefer a small personal operation or a larger more impersonal one that may be able to offer more facilities.

If you're a nitrox diver you can get 32% almost anywhere (many dive centers buy their air from a central point rather than pumping it themselves. If you're not, the obvious question has to be "why not?". Even though you're a very new diver, nitrox still makes a great deal of sense, and the course is easy and (relatively) quick.

Beware that things change, so reviews you read may no longer apply. Some operations that had good reviews no longer exist (like mine) or no longer warrant their reputations. Others that had deservedly poor reputations have redically overhauled their operations so that they're now up with the best. IMO Aquadives is one of those.

The bottom line is - there's absolutely no need to book your diving before you get here and I wouldn't recommend it. Find somewhere convenient to go diving on your first available morning, and then look around at available operators. Don't start looking on your first morning or you'll lose out that day.

If you'll post where your accommodation is I'll tell you what dive operations are near you.

We're going to be staying at the Conch Shell Inn @ 11 Foreshore Street.

Thanks guys for the great info.

Any other specific recommendations for dives other than Hol Chan for beginners? I'm sure we'll want a little variety though I expect that most everything is going to be fantastic as we're new.

What about cameras? I know that most dive centers take some pics for us but my wife is a photographer and would like to rent a camera for a dive or two - any reasonable places to rent a camera?

You might really want to wait to take a camera out on your first dives.. I understand your wife's desire to take one.. but you really both need to be focusing on your skills at this time. Let yourselves enjoy diving and not worry about the hassle of the camera. You will have many opportunities later to take a camera..

Have fun!!!

I just wrote you a long reply and yet again, as soon as I hit [enter] it vanished. Only ever happens with Scubaboard, and it's infuriating!

Dive centers you'll be close to are Amigos del Mar and Island Divers. A bit further away are Ecologic and Aquadives. Atoll trips (if you think you're ready for one) are run by Amigos and by Aquadives. IMO you'll get very good "handholding" for your early dives from Island Divers.

Forget using a camera - you won't yet have the necessary buoyancy control or finning style. The DMs at Island Divers (for sure) can take stills or video of you for a small charge. This used to be possible at Ecologic and probably still is, and stills are often possible at Aquadives.

If you insist on renting a camera, or if after a few days in the water your DM thinks you're up to it, I know Island Divers has a range of digital cameras to choose from. I don't know about any of the other operators, so it's a question you could ask them.

I'd only suggest Hol Chan for your first dive, though with your cold water training you'll probably start out better divers than average and maybe you won't get as much benefit as others on such a shallow dive (30ft absolute max). There are lots of excellent dive sites a 5 minute boat ride away, and I don't think you'll find your diving in San Pedro boring!

The two closest dive centers from the conch shell are Amigos del Mar and Ecologic Divers. Both very good with good solid reputations. As for camera rentals i agree with peter it is best to work on your diving a little more before you start with a camera. If you must Island Divers Supply have cameras to rent. they are only a few block to the south from Conch shell.
As for additional dive sites you might want to try would be Esmeralda, it is close and there are a lot of Nurse sharks there to watch. max depth 60'
As for the Nitrox,WAIT a little bit do a few dives, then do it as a course online at www.PADI.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom