Ambergris Caye - what is the sargassum situation in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterglutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am booking my annual dive trip to Belize, and rather than go to Turneffe Island Resort as we normally would my family is considering The Phoenix in Ambergris Caye.

I have read many amazing reviews of that resort so it sounds very nice, but we have two non-divers so beach/non-dive becomes important. I am concerned with some of the reports that the sargassum can be overwhelming at Ambergris.

Any views on whether that would be true early this coming January?

I am booking my annual dive trip to Belize, and rather than go to Turneffe Island Resort as we normally would my family is considering The Phoenix in Ambergris Caye.

I have read many amazing reviews of that resort so it sounds very nice, but we have two non-divers so beach/non-dive becomes important. I am concerned with some of the reports that the sargassum can be overwhelming at Ambergris.

Any views on whether that would be true early this coming January?

Unless you plan to take dive boats out to the atolls you will find the diving disappointing. There's no comparison in the quality of the inner reefs and the outer atolls.

My wife and I stayed at the Phoenix a few years ago. It’s very nice and the units are more like condos than hotel rooms. There was no beach at the resort when we went, but you could snorkel off the local dock. I don’t think sargassum will be a concern in January.

The diving locally is just average. It’s not bad, just not fantastic. It’s nice that you can be at the dive spot in like 5 mins though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom