Ambergris Caye Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was a combimation birthday, anniversary and Christmas gift for the family. My wife, two sons and wives spent 12/6 - 12/13 on Ambergris Caye. I booked the hotel and dive package thru Bay Adventures. Everything was as we requested including three adjoing rooms on the second floor of the hotel. Flights were direct from Houston; on time and no missing luggage.

The Sunbreeze is a step up from most dive hotels we stay at. The rooms were large, beds comfortable, and plenty of hot water. Refrigerators and TVs are in each room. Maid service was dependable. The rooms do not have balconies rather they open onto a common outside walkway. As a result our drying wetsuits and gear were open to anyone that walked by, although nothing came up missing. The resturant and bar were excellent, although somewhat expensive.

Aqua Dives provided very good service. We book the standard two tank trips, but upgraded to three tanks per day for six days when we checked in and requested nitrox for three of the divers. Our gear (BCs & regs) were on the boat each day with the correct tanks. The nitrox mix was dead on 32% every tank.

While catering to recreational divers, the DM did allow me freedom to dive my own profile as long as I came up with the group. Eric (our primary DM) was excellent; briefings were thourgh and he went out of his way to id fish life. I heard nothing but excellent comments about him from other divers on the boats.

We did book the Blue Hole trip (three dives plus lunch). I would not have done it, except that my sons had not dove the Hole. Took the whole family (4 divers & 2 snorklers), all had a good time. The dive shop provided a guide for the snorklers, which was a nice plus.

I really can't say anything negative about Aqua Dives, other than I normally prefer to be with more experienced divers and allowed more freedom. I think they offer that, but our group was a mixed bag of experience, so I can't fault them.

Weather could have been better three cloudy days, four windy days and generally high 70s to low 80s. The locals indicated this was their winter. Swells got to 3' to 5' one day.

All in all an excellent trip, which we plan to repeat.

Always glad to hear positive comments about AD, especially from experienced divers. A few years ago they didn't get and didn't merit such comments, but they've greatly revamped their entire operation, including having the best boat fleet of any operator here, and really do deserve praise. As to experience levels, they do a limited amount of technical diving and intend to increase that, so next visit you'll be able to do almost any diving with them. They recently hosted an advanced trimix expedition to the bottom of the Blue Hole, for example. Some of the technical equipment that Protech had I sold to them, so there are few limits on what they will be able to offer once they have the appropriate staff.

thanks for the report! I appreciate you taking the time to give us a basic rundown on your impressions of your trip. I wish more people did this!

so did you eat all your meals there at hotel or were there any other restaurants you want to mention? How about he dives - any particular site stand out?

robin:D

I was there the same week and my favorite restaurants were Caliente, Wild Mangos and Carumba. The Patio was decent, but not great. The food at the Sunset Grill was very well presented, but not very tasty.

I don't recommend the sports bar or Fido's for food, but the entertainment was good.

Thnx for the report, how was snorkeling the hole?

To answer a couple of questions:

We ate at several resturants besides at the hotel; Fido's, Elvia's, Wild Mangos, Jambel, Caliente, etc. Frankly, I've never had a bad meal on Ambergris Caye, my favorite was Wild Mangos.

The snorkeling was reported to be great by my son's wives, but I expect that was their inexperience talking - how interesting can it be to look at a sand bottom that drops off into the abyss...the third dive site, Aquarium on Long Caye, was better; more fish life, soft corals and they got to watch us come up the wall.

Watt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom