Ambergris Caye trip 2/14-2/20....picture heavy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltyhawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from my second dive trip (first was to Cozumel in August) to Belize. We dove with Hugh Parkey Dive Adventures and did the Blue Hole trip with Amigos Del Mar. We had a very good time. Weather was not great (overcast some days, lots of wind) but it didn't keep us from having a great trip.

I've read some reports that the barrier reef of Ambergris Caye was dead/dying. Not sure where they came up with that. The density of sea fans and gorgonians is amazing. Colors were not that great due to the cloud cover some days but when the sun was out it was very colorful. There were also a lot of hard corals, mainly staghorns, montipora, stylophora and hydnophora. I did see a few dead/dying staghorns but many more that were very healthy.

Excuse my lack of photography skills, I'm new to diving and photography. :)

blueandgreenmontis1of1_zpsadd85266.jpg

squirrelfish-coral1of1_zps6dd03b81.jpg

Porkfish1of1_zps6e17a031.jpg

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 12:44 PM ----------

Fish numbers were not what they were in Mexico except in Hol Chan Reserve where they were phenomenal. We did see tremendous numbers of Royal Gramma (hardly at all in Cozumel), a lot of Spainish Hogfish. Angels and some wrasses were not present in large numbers.

fightingwrasse21of1_zps96a5243a.jpg

bluefish-1of1_zps3b4d9fa2.jpg

SpainishHogfish1of1_zps046e341d.jpg

bigschool1of1_zps10535d80.jpg

Peak-a-boo grunts
Peakabogrunts1of1_zps06ed0a63.jpg

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 12:54 PM ----------

Large animals were very numerous, especially nurse sharks and sting rays. At one point we had 5 nursesharks following us at one time. Eagle rays were spotted on almost half the dives. We did have an encounter with a pod of spotted dolphins but I was slow getting the camera on and only got some poor footage of them as they swam away. Green morays were numerous and an occasional spotted moray was seen.

greenseaturtle21of1_zpsadce1034.jpg

Eagleray_zps377d99c9.jpg

Nurse shark encounters were usually up close and personal.

sharkpilotfish1of1_zps408d2802.jpg

headonnurseshark1of1_zps5dfb3f5e.jpg

For some reason I like this one of the nurse shark swimming up a canyon.

nursesharkcanyon1of1_zps3c7311e4.jpg

Great shots. If you took any topside photos of AC, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

I wish I had taken some photos on the island Downing. We are still so excited about diving we really didn't take a lot of time to do anything else. The town is a mixture of two worlds. Not as pristine and "touristy" as Cozumel is but it has it's own charms. The people were very friendly and we never once felt like we were being taken advantage of. Interesting mix of language. Almost everyone spoke English. Spainish (which my wife speaks fluently) was common as well as a little Creole and a smidgen of Garifuna.

If you go you have to go to the Belize chocolate store. Very addicting.

A little video from a day trip to Light House Reef.

[video=youtube;JmYHu51o9dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmYHu51o9dw[/video]

On the video? The DM told us it was a Caribbean reef shark.

We didn't see any nurse sharks at Lighthouse but did have an overly "friendly" green moray try to climb in my wife's BC.:D Evidently someone earlier had fed him a lionfish and he was looking for more.

Oops, never mind. I misread your post! Actually these were our first non nurse shark sharks to see up close! I loved it! More importantly my shy, unassuming wife did too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom