Ambergris Caye for Thanksgiving- need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First - don't arrange any of your tours through the resort. Resorts charge the operators a thirty percent commission and the price you receive is predictably inflated. Typically through the resorts you will see two tank dives between $80 and $90 while calling operators direct is more in the $60 range. Chuck and Robbie's dive shop provided me and my girlfriend great service at $55 each.

Second - From Jouney's end I recommend using the water taxi. There is a road of sorts, but it's pretty rough on the carts and the kidneys. If you're planning a good night of partying in San Pedro, you might want to consider a room at Ruby's for the night (clean and cheap)

Third - Find a good operator asking around when you get there. Your DM should be able to provide information (just don't ask your resort top book it)

Final - Shark Ray alley is fine for kids. As for the shore, its mainly seagrass, but I saw a few rays and pufferfish from the dock where I was staying.

Have fun, Belize is a blast.

My wife and I were in SP last thanksgiving. We also used Chuck and Robbie for all our local diving (http://www.ambergriscayediving.com/). If you have a decent size group of divers you maybe have their whole boat to yourselfs if you email and make reservations with them ahead of time. We used Amigos del mar for our turneffe elbow trip...very good operation. If your group has people who will be wanting to go into town more than once a day it is probably best to rent a cart...you can get 6 seaters.
One of the funnest days we had was when we went with another couple in a cart up to belizian shores resort for lunch..then bar hopped all the way back to town. We like to stay close to town so it is convienent to get to everything. Most resturants have a "american thanksgiving" dinner on T-day. We went the Jerk pit....jerk turkey dinner..was awsome. We did the cave tubing/belize zoo trip on our first trip to AC..but I can't remember who the operator was..maybe Seaduced. There are two ways you can do the trip if I remember right. Cheapest...boat ride to the mainland..then van to zoo/cave tubing..makes for a long day. Little more expensive...flight from AC to the metro airport (~$50/person RT)..then van to zoo/cave tubing...this gives you more time at the zoo. You don't feel so rushed and tired from the ~1hr boat trip. Have fun...we are planning a trip back next April and can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom