Ambergris Caye for Thanksgiving- need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kitcat

New
Reaction score
We are heading to Ambergris Caye for the week of Thanksgiving. We are renting a house- The Blue Dolphin- during our stay and I am now looking for tips and reccomendations from the awesome scubaboard posters!

First- Diving! We are staying about 4 miles north of town. It looks like we are near Journey's End. Does anyone have experience with their dive shop? We will have 4 divers in our group. Or any other shops you can recommend.

Second- Location and Transportation. I am a little concerned about the water break (San Pedro River) and how that will affect our access to the town. Can we only get to and from San Pedro in a water taxi? There will be 10 in our group and the thought of using a water taxi avery time we need to go to town doesn't sound too great. Can you get across the water break on a golf cart? Could we rent a couple of golf carts upon arrival and use those to get around? What about scooters? Any info would be great!

Third- River Caving. According to posts on this site, cave tubing in Belize is a must. Who should we go through? The first place I found who does the trip charged over $200 per person. Any tips on outfitters at a lower price.

And finally- Snorkeling With Kids. Would love recommendations of places to take young children snorkeling. Would Shark Ray Alley be doable or too dangerous? Any recomendations for snorkeling sites from the shore.

Thanks to all for your help!

kitcat:
First- Diving!

Second- Location and Transportation. I am a little concerned about the water break (San Pedro River) and how that will affect our access to the town.

Third- River Caving. According to posts on this site, cave tubing in Belize is a must.

And finally- Snorkeling With Kids. Thanks to all for your help!

First -Don't know about the dive op there. But that's peak season so other shops would probably come and pick you up at your dock.
Second - There is a bridge now that crosses the river and you can go all the way to Journey's End and a bit beyond by golf cart, but you'd be best to get a gas powered one just to make sure. (the battery could go low on an electric and it's a long walk back) It's BZ$5 (US$2.50) I believe to cross the bridge each time though.
Third - don't know. I hear it's a blast but know nothing of the operators.
Fourth- Shark Ray alley is a gentle place to snorkel. No current. If your kids can swim and use a snorkel, they should have no problem. I've not heard of any sting ray attacks there.....ever. You can probably use a kayak and paddle out near the reef in front of JE too. Shore snorkeling is not really safe though with all the boat traffic.

Thanks so much for the reply and info. I am obviously a new member and thrilled to get any information I can. Thanks again

1. N/A

2. Journey's End is about 10+ min by golf cart on unpaved road. Buggy rental was around $60 per day in 2003, at which time the bridge was non-existent and mini-ferry was the only option to cross by land. Never used water taxi.

3. N/A

4. Snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley is completely safe even for my then girlfriend (now wifey), who was experiencing open ocean snorkeling for the first time. For ease of mind, ask the guide/operator to provide a vest. There is no shore snorkeling on Ambergris Caye that I know of. To get to the break would be a long, long swim or kayaking. We used Amigos Del Mar, and they provide free water shuttles.

Hope that helps!

Go to our unfinished website (www.paradiselovers.com) and download the Ambergris Caye show for your view.

Diving- Go see Protech. They'll pick you up a the dock and are a great operation.

Journey's End-Don't know anything about their operation and I am sure its fine.

Snorkling- As others have said, snorkling is good at Shark Ray alley, but requires a boat trip. Inside the reef is like a "boat highway". Very dangerous to try and swim out to the reef and I wouldn't reccommend it.

You might also go to www.ambergriscaye.com for answers to some of your questions.

kitcat:
We are heading to Ambergris Caye for the week of Thanksgiving. We are renting a house- The Blue Dolphin- during our stay and I am now looking for tips and reccomendations from the awesome scubaboard posters!

First- Diving! We are staying about 4 miles north of town. It looks like we are near Journey's End. Does anyone have experience with their dive shop? We will have 4 divers in our group. Or any other shops you can recommend.
I can only speak of the one shop we just used. Ambergris Divers was very good to to dive with. I would ask for Giovanni as your DM. Very good. They will pick you up at your resort right at the pier.

Second- Location and Transportation. I am a little concerned about the water break (San Pedro River) and how that will affect our access to the town. Can we only get to and from San Pedro in a water taxi? There will be 10 in our group and the thought of using a water taxi avery time we need to go to town doesn't sound too great. Can you get across the water break on a golf cart? Could we rent a couple of golf carts upon arrival and use those to get around? What about scooters? Any info would be great!

Getting around on Ambergris is a challenge. Water taxi is about the only choice right now. There are golf carts but the road is so bad many places will not rent them because they are darn near impassable right now, if you do rent them you have to sign a waiver that any damage is your responsibility, while we were inquiring the lady at the shop said the last three they rented came back practically destroyed. We rode in with bikes once which was fun but a lot of work. We were lucky while there because we met a couple of people that owned a condo where we were staying and they had their own boat so they brought us in and out of town whenever we wanted to. No scooter rentals that we saw.

Third- River Caving. According to posts on this site, cave tubing in Belize is a must. Who should we go through? The first place I found who does the trip charged over $200 per person. Any tips on outfitters at a lower price.

And finally- Snorkeling With Kids. Would love recommendations of places to take young children snorkeling. Would Shark Ray Alley be doable or too dangerous? Any recomendations for snorkeling sites from the shore.

Thanks to all for your help!
Sorry we didn't do any of these so I can not help you here.

Have fun you love it.

Most of the dive centers will pick you up and return you to your hotel.
i would reccommend either Protech, www.protechdive.com or ecologic divers
www.ecologicdivers.com both will give you personal service and small groups.
e mail them to see what what kind of package they can put together for you.

steve
ecologic divers

My wife, son and I were on Ambergris last February, and are going back next February. We dove with AquaDives, they were ok. (see my post below) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=159844
We’re going to try Protech this time, according to my research, they seem to be the best on the island. Unfortunately, they also seem to be battling with their landlord, electricity shut off, bad mouthing each other, etc. This according to a recent post by Peter of Protech in this forum. I’m going to keep an eye on the situation and reassess as we get closer to February.
When we were there, they were building the bridge that the earlier poster referenced, I don’t know if it’s completed. I’d assume (and hope) that they’d improve the road if they go to the trouble of building the bridge.
We did the river caving with the Jaguar Paw Resort, it ends up being a full day trip (caving, ziplining Belize Zoo included). We hired a driver/ guide, which was pretty cheap, and did it on our own. At the risk of sounding elitist, it beat the hell out of piling onto a bus with sixty other people, arriving everywhere with our own built-in line in which to wait.
Can’t speak to the snorkeling, but my wife went and seemed to enjoy it. I think you’ll find that it’s a dedicated trip, no snorkeling immediately offshore, as previous stated by Hank49.
Two bits of unsolicited advice:
-Do the offshore trip to Lighthouse Reef System, but stick with the 3 reef dive. The reefs are spectacular. I thought the Blue Hole sucked. From http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/greatbluehole.html

In the deeper waters of the Blue Hole itself, you might see a curious blacktip tiger or hammerhead shark, but on most dives you won't see anyone except your dive buddy. Little light reaches the depths of the Hole and water does not circulate freely. As a result, the deeper areas inside the Blue Hole don't have the profusion of life associated with most drop-offs.

-I was not at all impressed with the night diving, which is all done inside the barrier reef, because navigating the reef in the dark is too dangerous. Very heavy current, and not much to see.

To my knowledge, there are no turkeys on Ambergris Key.

My comments annotated at ***

My wife, son and I were on Ambergris last February, and are going back next February. We dove with AquaDives, they were ok. (see my post below) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=159844
*** AquaDives now have the biggest boat on the island for atoll trips

We’re going to try Protech this time, according to my research, they seem to be the best on the island. Unfortunately, they also seem to be battling with their landlord, electricity shut off, bad mouthing each other, etc. This according to a recent post by Peter of Protech in this forum. I’m going to keep an eye on the situation and reassess as we get closer to February.
*** we have now made our own arrangements for electricity. Guests can expect the service we’ve always given them.
Our actions have exclusively been defensive and I won’t go into the reasons here. But if you knew what I do about how the resort managers operate you wouldn’t want to go near the place, which is a shame as the resort is intrinsically lovely.
This situation can’t go on indefinitely, and I’ll post here whatever developments occur.

When we were there, they were building the bridge that the earlier poster referenced, I don’t know if it’s completed. I’d assume (and hope) that they’d improve the road if they go to the trouble of building the bridge.
*** yes, the bridge is open. No, the road hasn’t been improved…..

We did the river caving with the Jaguar Paw Resort, it ends up being a full day trip (caving, ziplining Belize Zoo included). We hired a driver/ guide, which was pretty cheap, and did it on our own. At the risk of sounding elitist, it beat the hell out of piling onto a bus with sixty other people, arriving everywhere with our own built-in line in which to wait.
*** many of these trips can be made from Ambergris Caye, but that adds a lot of traveling time and cost. If you know you want to make such trips it’s best to organize a two-center trip.

Can’t speak to the snorkeling, but my wife went and seemed to enjoy it. I think you’ll find that it’s a dedicated trip, no snorkeling immediately offshore, as previous stated by Hank49.

Two bits of unsolicited advice:

-Do the offshore trip to Lighthouse Reef System, but stick with the 3 reef dive. The reefs are spectacular. I thought the Blue Hole sucked. From http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/greatbluehole.html
*** many people agree with you about the Blue Hole. I think it’s a great dive if taken as a technical dive (ie. deeper and longer), but a bit pointless as a short “bounce”. But then again lots of people say they enjoy it.

In the deeper waters of the Blue Hole itself, you might see a curious blacktip tiger or hammerhead shark, but on most dives you won't see anyone except your dive buddy. Little light reaches the depths of the Hole and water does not circulate freely. As a result, the deeper areas inside the Blue Hole don't have the profusion of life associated with most drop-offs.
*** I think you’re being a bit unfair. Visibility in the BH is generally around 25’. Certainly, on the normal three-dive trips with the BH first (it has to be as it’s by far the deepest) the dive is quite early in the morning and it’s pretty gloomy down there.
At the “recreational” dive depth (about 150&#8217:wink: I’ve seen oceanic whitetips and blacktips, Caribbean reef sharks, and the ubiquitous bull shark. Deeper (about 250&#8217:wink: I’ve seen hammerheads, but most dive guides will swear there is no such thing in the BH because they’re never seen in the shallower water. But they’re there.

-I was not at all impressed with the night diving, which is all done inside the barrier reef, because navigating the reef in the dark is too dangerous. Very heavy current, and not much to see.
*** Hol Chan was created by tidal movement and still experiences it twice a day – four times, if you count “in” and “out”. At slack water this is a pleasant low key shallow (25&#8217:wink: dive, though no-one can predict just when slack will be.
When conditions are calm and there is a moon, AND we have only experienced night divers on board, we like to do night dives outside the reef. If there’s any risk of conditions deteriorating during the dive we don’t go outside, as getting back through the reef safely at night is only possible in ideal conditions.

To my knowledge, there are no turkeys on Ambergris Key.
*** the most notable sharks here are on land. The most notable turkeys are in the water!

Peter,
First, I really hope to be diving with you in Feb. I’m staying at the Palms, and made a special request to sign up with you guys. I’ve done a lot of research, and you seem to be at the top.

By the way, I lifted the “In the deeper waters of the Blue Hole itself” paragraph off of the website at
http://ambergriscaye.com. , Sponsored by the San Pedro Town Board and the Belize Tourism Industry Association.
See you in a few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom