Amazon Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QLittlestar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Y'all

I am interested in the world of diving. I have put if off for the last 21 years because I was planning to lose weight. Which is funny, I have never been slowed down before. I have always considered myself an amateur marine biologist and I grew up bodysurfing, boogie boarding and snorkeling (FL)so I am very comfortable in the ocean. I just have not gotten up the chutzpah to get certified. I am not only tall but I am quite full figured, but still in great shape. I now live in NYC so I walk alot and I hit the trails every spring to restore sanity lost in Manhattan. But the ocean remains my passion.

I have found a place that will make me a pink/black wetsuit what I need now is a BC. Can anyone tell me where I can get a large sized one? I am rather large breasted which can be a problem. Is there anything differently I should know or do being large size? What convinced me to post is I met a girl the other day who is certified who is 80lbs soaking wet. I am a decent swimmer and I am really strong. I think I am just scared.

I welcome any information.

Thanks

Q

Welcome Q!
This is the place to be to have your questions answered! I am new at this, so please keep in mind that my opinion is just an opinion, everyone has one.

I assure you that I weigh a whole lot more than 80# soaking wet. In fact with all my gear on I feel like a small truck, but that's just until I get IN the water. Then we are ALL weightless!

I dive a Zeagle Ranger, the body & shoulders can be sized seperately to give just the right fit. The shoulders & straps don't interfere with my chest either. The cumberbund can be adjusted for fit too. I make mine smaller for warm water & thin wetsuit and larger for the cold water where I usually dive.

I went to visit a new shop the other day & the manager gave me a demo of the backplate & wings configuration. The harness looks like it would not interfere at all with us full figured gals and that it would be a very functional system. If I ever need another BC I will look at that system.

Let us know how it goes with your certification!

-kate

Welcome Q!

As for you question. Can you go to the dive school and try some of the BCs during the course?
You may find trying before buying a good help.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom