Amazing dive - Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMonterey

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm not a big poster on this site, but had a few moments in my day to share a terrific experience. I live and work in Oahu and have dove many sites on this island. Found myself out in Waianae (leeward-west side) this past Friday on a dive boat called "The Beach" owned by Randy of Capt. Bruce's scuba charters. 8 total divers on the boat on a day that swells were predicted for 8-12 feet on west facing shores. Once we cleared the harbor, the sun shone, the ocean was flat and the viz approached 100+. We did 2 deep dives (airplane and black rock). The dives were typical Hawaii wonderful. 75 degrees in the winter water...but it was the whales that made it amazing. We had no less than 30 sightings in the 4 hours we were there. Our surface interval was taken up with video and photos of calves and mothers breaching about 150 yards from our boat. Cpt Randy was careful to maintain his distance the best he could. We had to wait our turn as a pod was camped out on our second mooring of the day. It was a truly special time for our boatful of amazed divers. If you are coming to Oahu and plan on diving...be certain to spend just one day on the leeward side of the island. It simply shouldn't be missed.

I totally second that DiveMonterrey, I've dove with Capt. Randy the past 2 weekends for my Advance Open Water and conditions couldn't have been better. We didn't get to see the whales that close, but still enjoyed a few breaching in the distance. Saw a few beautiful eagle rays crusing the Mahi, and this curious female turtle at 5 Inch reef who seems to be unusually interested in my instructor.:blinking:
Definetely kudos to Capt. Randy and his crew :thumbs_up:
Lucky we live Hawaii!

Capt Randy is a very nice man

thanks for your report. (aren't whales amazing?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom