Am I too picky on the fit of my drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I got the Fusion. All issues are gone now. What a suit!

Congratulations on getting a Fusion!

I was watching your post and It's really amazing how people have accepted the drawbacks of traditional Drysuits becasue untill now there hasn't been a viable alternative.

As you have now dicovered for yourself, with the Fusion there is no compromise!

Cheers,

Justin Balaski

Sounds like you found yourself a great drysuit. Where did you buy it? What's the approximate cost of this suit? Did you get a stock size or custom?

I've gone through 3 or 4 different drysuits over the years (and I still dive a wetsuit in the warmer waters of Southern California and when abalone diving), but have never been fully satisfied - the early ones all leaked enough to make them uncomfortable, and the other shell suits created too much drag for me. I'm currently diving a Mobby's twin shell which is the best I've had so far in terms of durability and it's been 99% dry.

Can you share a few more details on this suit though? THanks.

- Chris

One other thing that people are saying about the fusion is that it is more difficult to put on the suit. Well, I timed putting on the suit versus my Nexus and a Bare. I could put on the Fusion faster, mainly because of the zipper and neck seals. Just watch the videos on how to put it on.

One comment I do have is that I like the lycra skin over the tech skin. More flexibility and lighter weight. So unless you are really going to be around sharp objects, the tech skin is not needed IMHO.

Regarding the sizing, I bought the stock L/XL. The way they made the suit, it looks like it was made custom for me.

I think the suit retails around 1200 USD. I got mine at Scubatoys, and lucked out because it was a return so I got a good discount on it.

Bubble management is a snap with the Fusion as well. You will still need to have proper training with the suit, but this is a very easy suit to dive. I still needed the same amount of weight vs the Nexus, but the valve seems much better so I never gave venting much thought.

One thing that was nice about the suit, is that the inner core is soft enough that I didn't need to put any air in down to 45 feet. I only added air for loft, not squeeze.

Main downside I did see with the suit are the socks. I wish they are neoprene, or had attached boots. I hate the bilam socks.

Well, the nice thing about the bilam socks is that they're part of what makes it possible to roll the suit up in a small ball, and turn it inside out easily.

I've gone through a year of playing with different footgear options for my Fusion, including the White's boots (which were beautiful, but didn't fit in my fins) and wetsuit booties (either didn't stay on, or compressed the socks too much), and Chuck Taylors, and now I'm using some surfer's booties from a company called Gill. I agree that it's one of the challenges of the suit.

Well, the nice thing about the bilam socks is that they're part of what makes it possible to roll the suit up in a small ball, and turn it inside out easily.

I've gone through a year of playing with different footgear options for my Fusion, including the White's boots (which were beautiful, but didn't fit in my fins) and wetsuit booties (either didn't stay on, or compressed the socks too much), and Chuck Taylors, and now I'm using some surfer's booties from a company called Gill. I agree that it's one of the challenges of the suit.

Lynne, how long have you had your Fusion suit?

I've had my Fusion just about a year. It's got about a hundred dives on it now.

I like the bilam booties. They let you wear normal wool socks and do not make your feet abnormally large with resulting larger than normal boots. Plus they are really one size fits all with no issues trying to deal with extra space or extra bulky material.

I use Whites EVO 3 boots and they are leaps and bounds ahead of rocks boots and are far more durable.

Durability wise I have owned mine about 10 months with close to 100 dives on it most of them in caves or wrecks with no leaks, holes, tears, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom