Am I in the clear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Last night I posted an OOA incident in the general discussions thread. In short, my question is, how long do I have to wait before I can be sure I have not hurt myself, after a much faster than normal rise to the surface from 90ft, with little or no deco stop to speak of. 10 min desent time, 6 min at depth of 90 ft water temp 4 c, rise to surface less than 1 min, heavy exersion for 10 min on surface to reach shore.

What are the signs of the bends, and in what order do they come in, and what is the time line for symptoms to appear?

How long after a bail out would it be considered no longer a risk of an embolism?

What measure are recommended after such an event?

Would returning to the water to 15ft for an extended deco have helped?

Opinions relating to the dive itself, after reading the OOA posted yesterday in a woulda shoulda coulda manner, would be greatly appreciated if posted to the OOA itself. I am seeking sound advice with this question, of a medical nature only please. The experience has left me a little shaken, with the possible after effects.

Hi pt40fathoms,

When diving air, in 50% of cases of DCS the first signs/symptoms appear within 30 minutes, in 90% within 3 hours, in 99% within 12 hours & virtually 100% within 36 hours.

If you're 36+ hours since your last dive and without any signs/symptoms of DCI whatsoever, statistics say you're in the clear.

Signs/symptoms of DCS include but are not limited to itching/rash/mottled skin, joint or muscle pain & swelling, fatigue, tingling/numbness in limbs, muscle weakness/stiffness, headache, nausea/vomiting, breathing problems, coughing, bladder/bowel problems, vision disorders, hearing disturbances, memory problems, personality change, etc.

Sometimes just one of these may occur, sometimes several, sometimes many. To the best of my knowledge, they do not have any fixed order of appearance, although some case reports suggest that skin manifestations may briefly precede other features.

There are procedures for missed decompression (obligated) stops, and you should get training in these before attempting them. If you're just talking about a missed safety stop, the conventional wisdom is that you not return to the water in an effort to complete it.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom