Am I good enough diver to utilize macro lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I have never used macro lenses before, and I just started using a manual control camera. I have about 100 dives. Yesterday I was on one of the wrecks here in NC and was playing around with my camera. I tried to get close to some small stuff. There was just a slight current (pretty easy diving by NC standards). I just could not get more than about 6 inches and be able to hold the camera steady (with my arms extended). Would a macro lense be of any use unless you get within an inch or so of the critter?

Work, work, and more work on your buoyancy and trim skills.
You need to be able to hang in any position, upside down, on your head, controling your depth with only your breathing and the slowest movements of your fins.
It is very frustrating at the begining but when you get it right it is so satisfying.
Learn to ride the surge so that each pass you creep closer to your target.
If there is current then the shot you want may be impossible, instead look for an alternative angle where you can fin against the current.

Practise make a better diver, get wet and have fun.

Work, work, and more work on your buoyancy and trim skills.
You need to be able to hang in any position, upside down, on your head, controling your depth with only your breathing and the slowest movements of your fins.
It is very frustrating at the begining but when you get it right it is so satisfying.
Learn to ride the surge so that each pass you creep closer to your target.
If there is current then the shot you want may be impossible, instead look for an alternative angle where you can fin against the current.

Practise make a better diver, get wet and have fun.
thanks for the advice, I guess I should have asked my question a little differently. I know over time my skills will progress (hopefully!!). I am leaving for Bonaire one month from today. I am debating as to if I should buy the macro lense (s) before I go, or save the money until they will be of use to me. How close does one have to get before they become of benefit? (ie 1 inch, 6 inches, 1 foot, etc)??

I think the focal length depends upon the lens. A 100 will be different than a 300

I personally enjoyed shooting WA in Boanire....even for the small stuff. Granted you had to keep a certain distance, but I found more WA stuff that I wanted to shoot than Macro so I just quit switching lenses. That may just be my reaction only though.

All mine are under 3 in and often less than 1. You are welcome to borrow one of mine, I rarely stack them unless I find something really cool....then I can just come over and take it back. :) Holy*&^%&%@!! 30 days!!!!

While I do believe in not harming the reef, I see no reason not to carefully find a small spot of dead coral to brace a finger or 2 on it. It's amazing how little it takes to steady you if your bouyancy is dead on.

This little bugger was shot from about 1 inch. It is about 1/4 inch long. I am not sure but I think I was only using one lens and as hovering in open water at the time. We will have plenty of oppertunities to play with critters this small.
normal_P4290972-crop-1-web.jpg

All mine are under 3 in and often less than 1. You are welcome to borrow one of mine, I rarely stack them unless I find something really cool....then I can just come over and take it back. :) Holy*&^%&%@!! 30 days!!!!

While I do believe in not harming the reef, I see no reason not to carefully find a small spot of dead coral to brace a finger or 2 on it. It's amazing how little it takes to steady you if your bouyancy is dead on.
ya, I realized it was 1 month to the date when I posted. I think I will hold off on the purchase and try yours out before shelling out more money.

I usually use a finger or so to steady me on a wreck, but then it is a rusty piece of metal her in NC, more likely to hurt me rather than me hurt it, but I was trying to practice not touching anything, much more difficult than hovering in the quarry or the pool!!!

Bonaire is great for macro, thats what got me hooked on underwater photograpy.
You are goint to have to get close, < 6 inches, sometimes less than 1 inch. It is a real challenge not to crash into the reef when you are trying to get this close to a subject with the camera and strobe.
I recommend taking a course on macro when you are in Bonaire, it is well worth the cost, p.s. I would not bother with the extra to get a card.
An instructor will teach you the basics, show you how to set up your gear for macro, how to find your subjects, how to position yourself to approach the shot, etc. Really well worth the money for a day.
My course was before digital, started with an hour on the basics, then 2 dives with pre and post briefings, then a couple of hours going through the images pointing out ideas, mistakes, etc.

Go for it, but beware, if you thought diving was expensive, taking a camera underwater introduces a whole new dimension.

Back
Top Bottom