Am I going to die? BCD repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just the seam. No leaks in the bladder other than the ones from the join in the dump valves. Will button it up tomorrow and really crank down on the joins and see if that improves things.

I wouldn't be "really cranking down" on anything, more so if it's plastic. Over tightening almost never solves a leak. If you need to crank in order to stop a leak there is something else amiss.

and really crank down on the joins and see if that improves things.

Simon says and is correct, DO NOT put more pressure on that fitting than hand tight. If you use a tool, use only the one that holds the inner fitting still while you attach the outer fitting.

Unless I don't see it, it looks to me like you are missing a seal that goes on the outside of the bladder but under the outer fitting. Ref picture 3 in post #18 There should be a seal installed at that point of the assembly.

img_2276-jpg.427581.jpg

Last edited:
That's odd because there was no seal there originally and AP didn't provide one with the kit.

I might hold off of the reassembly until I hear back from AP to get their inputs on what I'm doing wrong.

The crank hard advice did seem to come from a conversation someone had with AP, but you can't believe everything you read on the internet (only 92% of it is correct :wink:)

Put the BCDback together this morning. Thought I would try some lube on the sealing joints and also some firm use of elbow grease putting it back together.

All went smoothly and the canola oil was put on the bladder on each side and also on the plastic parts threads. Seemed to help when it came to tightening it all up as the bladder wasn't binding anything. Hopefully canola oil won't do anything to the bladder, plastic parts or cordura outer shell.

I was also generous in the torque to lock it all together.

The result?

Too early to tell but it appears to the holding the pressure that I put in to it. It's been sitting for 30-40 mins so far with no discernible loss of pressure at all. Fingers crossed it holds for a few hours as I'd then call that a success.

Well done.

I don't know what effect vegetable oil will have on the bladder-probably none. FWIW for a temporary lubricant like KY jelly can come in handy or if none is available liquid dish soap and a little water works well. I like these as after temporarily lubricating the parts, the water soluble lube will wash away.

Yeah I was a little worried about using specific lubes like wheel bearing grease or wd40 as I didn't know what effect they'd have on the materials in the BCD. Thought canola oil was the least likely to do any damage.

Just checked the BCD again and it's still fully inflated. I think it's fair to say it's back and 100% ready to use.

I sent my BCD back to AP after 22 years. They serviced it, replaced the inner bag and attached some D rings as the jacket’s original design didn’t have them.

There was a note in the pocket from the tech. “I expect to see this jacket again in another 22 years“.

Modern jackets aren’t make to last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom