Am I getting a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommy32256

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My neighbor is selling his diving gears, everything are in excellent condition. I'm new at this so I'm look to get some feedback from you ladies and gents here.

1) Mares Vector Origin BCD (only 4 dives)size large ,
2) TUSA regs with console and octopus.
3) 2 luxfer tanks

total $225

Should I go for it? Please chime in and give me your 2 pesos. :wink:

Tom

Depending on the condition and how it fits you - sounds like a good deal. I would have everything serviced prior to use so factor that into the price. Also make sure the tanks are not one of the restricted alloys that most dive shops in florida will not fill. If they are good - check the hydros and visuals because that can add more costs..

Yeah for sure I will take them to get re-cert before use. He said they was serviced before he put them away 2 years ago.

My neighbor is selling his diving gears, everything are in excellent condition. I'm new at this so I'm look to get some feedback from you ladies and gents here.

1) Mares Vector Origin BCD (only 4 dives)size large ,
2) TUSA regs with console and octopus.
3) 2 luxfer tanks

total $225

Should I go for it? Please chime in and give me your 2 pesos. :wink:

Tom

Hey Tom:

I know nothing about Mares or Tusa prices as I have nothing from either of them but I think with just the tanks alone that is a super deal. Of course, how old are the tanks as in what year were they made, when were they hydro'd last and did they pass, what is the advertised volume, how do they look, VIP and eddy current testing if applicable. If the tanks are good, go for it!

Kind regards,
Thomas

Man it's hard to see that stuff thru my computer, got any pics??....Probably though, it's worth that------the tanks could be worth 10 bucks apiece(scrap metal value) to $100 each---the BC could be worth about 100???---&----what's in the console ie SPG, depth gauge & compass???.....

Also, does the BC fit ie your size??.....
I would think alot depends on how old the stuff is.......good luck, I'm sure others will chime in but post some pics, if you can--you'll get alot better/more responses I'm thinking......

I will post picture when I get my post count up :-D

Like others have said, if the tanks are useable, it is a good deal.

Here is a link to the Mares Vector Origin on LP's website:

Mares Vector Origin BCD

I am very familiar with the Vector Origin: I bought 5 of them for my family a couple years ago (wife and I now use BP/W's) :D . It is a well made, basic BC. My 3 kids still use their's, and they have held up well. It is used by some dive shops as their "basic" rental BC. It is rugged, no-frills, but works very well and holds up well, and was well-rated in the magazines when it came out as an entry-level BC. Used and in excellent condition like the one you are looking at: I'd say it is worth around $100-125.

Hope this helps. Oh yeah, make sure the BC fits you properly.

Best wishes.

PS: My avatar picture is from 2007, an I'm wearing the Mares Vector Origin

Here they are. I think I might have a problem with the red tank the alloy is 6351. But he stated that he did plenty of dive with it without any problem.

ScubaGear002Medium-1.jpg

ScubaGear004Medium.jpg

If the regs haven't been used in two year they will need to be serviced.
Depending on your location that can cost you a little bit.
Low ball is about $15 per stage so $15 for 1st stage, $15 for 2nd stage, and $15 for Octo.
Your tanks will need hydrostatic testing, vis, air fill, about $25 per tank

Back
Top Bottom