Am I buying the right items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaMaDo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First an explanation:

I'm about to change careers and I'd like to get my own gear to learn and grow with before I quit my job and go back to school.

I took diving classes through my former university 10 years ago but left to the USAF before getting the final signature, and hence, no license. I'm about to go through the PADI course again and would like to start diving regularly around Miami and the Fl keys.

I already have the mask, fins, and snorkel and I want to get a BP/W system with computer and regulator.

So far I've chosen the items below (sorry i can't post urls yet) and need a sanity check to make sure this will suit my needs as a beginner in Miami, and also grow with me when I start traveling to Indonesia and other places in the future for deeper wrecks etc.

Regulator - Hollis 212/DC1
Computer - Aeris Elite Hoseless wrist computer + trans
Wing - Hollis S25
BP - Hollis Aluminum
Harness - Hollis Elite II
Weights - Hollis 20lb for harness

Does all that look good?

Do I need the hollis STA?

Anything else I need?

Last edited:
I'm pretty new at this, so I may be on the wrong track here, but since the Hollis S25 wing has 25# of lift, 20# of weight on the harness might not be a good idea. That's because the wing should float your rig at the surface (without you in it). Even though the aluminum backplate is light, it seems like that, combined with regs, harness, (maybe) a negative tank, and 20# of weight on the harness would be cutting it kind of close. If you put some/all of that weight on a separate weight belt then the picture would change.

Looks pretty good to me.

Don't know if the Hollis bladder needs and STA or not (haven't had one to test), but . . .

If you can, get a little pool time somewhere to check it out.

the K

Thanks for the responses!

The Hollis 20lb weight set seems to be the only one they have for their harness system. They are two 10b weight pockets, but I was assuming each pocket was split into smaller pieces inside that I can remove. I'll have to ask about that.

Thanks for the responses!

The Hollis 20lb weight set seems to be the only one they have for their harness system. They are two 10b weight pockets, but I was assuming each pocket was split into smaller pieces inside that I can remove. I'll have to ask about that.

The pockets don't weigh 10 lbs., they can hold ten pounds. :D

Ouch, for $126 ($140 retail) they don't come with any weight?

I guess I'll just get some weight for them too

Should I get the 25# wing or 38#?

No need for a bigger wing, unless you are diving a lot of wetsuit (not likely in Fla) or diving large steel doubles there is no need for more lift. Properly weighted in Fla with little wetsuit you really should not need any lift at all. If you go to thick wetsuits, drysuits or large steel doubles in the future, it's time to buy another BC anyway.

When buying your weights, don't buy large sizes but instead buy a varity of smaller ones. If you buy 2- 5 lb ones you are stuck with 10 lbs but if instead if you buy 2-3's and 2- 2s you can vary your weight from 4,6,8 and 10 lbs assuming you are using intergrated weight pockets that force you to add even amounts. If it were me, I would go one step farther and buy 2-1s and 4-2s which will give you an even wider of 2,4,6,8 and 10 (or if you choose to use a weight belt the complete range from 1 to 10 lbs in 1 lb steps)....or if you really want to get picky (and yes I do have/use them) drop by a tackel shop and buy 2- 1/2 lb (8oz) sinkers. Now you have a range of 1 to 11 lbs in 1lb steps. Between soft and hard weights, I prefer hard weights. They can be used with either a weight belt or intergrated, are industructable (no ripping bags) and tend to be a little less expensive.

I would go with a 6lb steel backplate, it weighs a bit more and that weight is well distributed rather than all on your belt. It'll aid your trim in the water somewhat. Depending on your size you might then get away without any excess weight on a belt at all in warm water.

Back
Top Bottom