Am I behind the times? - What a sad story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
It's a National Geographic story.

somehow i don't think the "Peter Hughes Diving Inc. Wave Dancer Deaths"
with the multiple heads of Peter Hughes grinning like he doesn't give a darn
about anything appeared in National Geographic

(though yes, they do credit National Geographic for the story)

I don't care what their source is, CDNN is clearly sensationalistic in their
editorial choices, their graphics, and their anti-PADI, anti-DAN stances.

H2Andy:
somehow i don't think the "Peter Hughes Diving Inc. Wave Dancer Deaths"
with the multiple heads of Peter Hughes grinning like he doesn't give a darn
about anything appeared in National Geographic

(though yes, they do credit National Geographic for the story)

I don't care what their source is, CDNN is clearly sensationalistic in their
editorial choices, their graphics, and their anti-PADI, anti-DAN stances.

I concur. (always wanted to say that) They even have a little cut and paste blurb about PADI's quick scuba class that slap onto every article with the word PADI in it, regardless of the fact that it had nothing to do with the "speedy" class.

They do usually have links at the bottom, so I use those to verify it if the link actually works, otherwise I just let it go in one ear (or eye) and out the other.

From the CDNN's scuba-forum website:

Wave Dancer Forum: This forum has been temporarily closed due to increasing hostility and false accusations of impropriety directed at the forum itself by Heather Johnston, Teresa Mars and other relatives of the deceased who deeply resent opinions that differ from their own. The purpose of Scuba Forum is to give people the opportunity to freely express themselves within certain guidelines in an open forum, not espouse any particular point of view nor discredit any particular individual or company. For the record and to answer false accusations the decision to close the forum was influenced in some way by Peter Hughes, it was not. Neither Mr. Hughes, nor his associates, contacted Cyber Diver editors with regard to Scuba Forum or the CDNN Special Report on the Wave Dancer which remains available as part of the public record of the tragedy.

Yes, I admit it. I complained to the CDNN moderators -- what moderators? -- about the use of profanity and name-calling on the CDNN forum. The more I complained, the longer it took for them to post my posts.

Specifically I pointed out that the word "*****" and the phrases like "Go back to Mars Teresa" made it into their subject lines. While there was certainly some name-calling and accusations of impropriety from the friends and family of the deceased, the level of profanity and name-calling from the other side was much much worse.

While posting of links e.g. http://www.wavedancermemorial.com is against CDNN policy, the use of the profanity in the subject line is ok with CDNN.

If anyone is interested here's another link http://www.nosafeharbor.com

Thank you for posting my comments in a timely and unedited manner,

Heather Johnston, Daughter of Wave Dancer Victims Byron and Shirley Johnston

HeatherJohnston:
Th*nk you f*r n*t p*sting the w*rd ****.

Heather

I understand your previous post about CDNN, but this one has me confused. I'm pretty good at cryptograms too!

Kriterian:
I understand your previous post about CDNN, but this one has me confused. I'm pretty good at cryptograms too!

Thank you for not posting the word ****.

CDNN thinks its ok to post four letter words on their forum, even in the subject line of a post, as long as the vowels are replaced by *s. I don't know about you, but I even find those French Connection United Kingdom T-shirts offensive.

Unfortunately, until very recently the CDNN forum was the only place on line to read the latest news on the three year delay in publishing the IMMARBE report. It sounds to me like a lot of other people know why the report took so long, but aren't saying out of some sort of loyalty or fear of losing their jobs.

Luckily Scuba Board can afford software that recognizes four letter words, even with the vowels replaced by *s. Since your software would not allow me to directly quote CDNN, I wasn't sure if my point about the word "*****" came across.

Thanks again,

Heather

HeatherJohnston:
Luckily Scuba Board can afford software that recognizes four letter words, even with the vowels replaced by *s. Since your software would not allow me to directly quote CDNN, I wasn't sure if my point about the word "*****" came across.

Heather - yes we do have software that filters out many words automatically. However people still try to circumvent it occasionally by using **s etc to replace only vowels. This is actually also not allowed and the Moderators will edit such language if they see it. We try very hard to keep ScubaBoard as friendly as possible so that people can enjoy themselves here and exchange useful information about our sport - scuba diving. If you ever see a post that you consider offensive or otherwise against our TOS, please use the 'Report Post' button at the bottom left corner of the post.

We have absolutely no affiliations with any commercial or other entities. This means that we only moderate according to the rules which have been created primarily to encompass the sensibilities of our members. Of course ScubaBoard has members from all over the world so it is impossible to have absolute consistency due to cultural differences etc. For the most part though, our members seem to think that we generally succeed in our overall aims - a friendly, fun, useful board. Other boards have their own styles and allow different things to occur, but we see no reason to concern ourselves with what they do or how they are run......it's a big world!

Back
Top Bottom