Always see a bit of blood in spit after dive over 6 metres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi folks,
I'm a newbie and I've done my first dive weekend where I did 4 dives. I did about 10 metres to 20 metres. But I noticed a ting of blood in my flem after every dive. my instructor told me its probably due to my sinus and it's nothing to worry about. is it ok to continue to dive after seeing a bit of red after each dive?
Something else to consider is that the reg mouthpiece is irritating your gums. This is a bit of a non-sequitur but nevertheless, it happens... rarely, but it happens.

Best of luck.

when I started diving I noticed this when I blow my nose at the surface, it doesn’t always happen but does seem to occur when I’m trying to pinch my nose more frequently to equalize.

If you want to successfully continue with scuba diving stop doing the Valsalva maneuver.

Something else to consider is that the reg mouthpiece is irritating your gums. This is a bit of a non-sequitur but nevertheless, it happens... rarely, but it happens.

Best of luck.
Actually a good point.

If you want to successfully continue with scuba diving stop doing the Valsalva maneuver.
What do you recommend? Been diving 40 years and usually spit a trace of blood after 40% of my dives over 60 feet. Rarely have trouble clearing (thankfully) but when I do it is always in my upper sinus (forehead) and resolved by descending feet first and going slow.
Edging closer to the end of my diving career but just can't envision not doing it anymore.

What do you recommend? Been diving 40 years and usually spit a trace of blood after 40% of my dives over 60 feet. Rarely have trouble clearing (thankfully) but when I do it is always in my upper sinus (forehead) and resolved by descending feet first and going slow.
Edging closer to the end of my diving career but just can't envision not doing it anymore.

Look at this list linked in a prior post.

Try the Frenzel or other method.

hi folks,
I'm a newbie and I've done my first dive weekend where I did 4 dives. I did about 10 metres to 20 metres. But I noticed a ting of blood in my flem after every dive. my instructor told me its probably due to my sinus and it's nothing to worry about. is it ok to continue to dive after seeing a bit of red after each dive?
That sounds terrifying! :/

Back
Top Bottom